Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

GB Triangular Postmarks

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 109 / Views: 29,281Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 04/21/2011   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have linked the image here from my post, to include it in this one. Thanks mhc99.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
669 Posts
Posted 04/21/2011   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add skilo54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Londonbus1!

I just got the Billig's Vol.34 and am waiting for my 35 to get delivered. I think the markings covered in Vol.34 are too early for these triangular markings, but I will definitely have a look!

First comes work though.....

Have a Great Day,

Skilo54

Edited by skilo54 - 04/21/2011 1:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
534 Posts
Posted 05/03/2011   01:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are lists of telegraph codes which were used for these cancels upto 1924. Post offices are specified, which is useful.

Telegraphic Codes A-L http://strowger-net.telefoonmuseum....elistal.html

Telegraphic Codes M-Z http://strowger-net.telefoonmuseum....elistmz.html

Happy hunting!
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1700 Posts
Posted 10/14/2011   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have obtained a couple of British early 1960's envelopes with postmarks that interested me. First one has 2.5 penny Wilding and postmarked with AB in a triangle as part of a slogan for National Productivity year (62-63). AB is probably Aberdeen in Scotland. Second one has a 3 penny Wilding with 953 in the triangle as part of the slogan for National Cystic Fibrosis Week. 953 is the old "code" for Blackpool in England. No dates on either. Cannot find any reference to these... but maybe someone has come across similar postmarks?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
669 Posts
Posted 10/14/2011   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add skilo54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello there,

I can't say your description rings a bell, so really can't comment on them at this point. This is a visual hobby and a image for reference would be key to answering your type of question. Even a cruddy cell phone pic would be handy. Any chance for one?

While I am here, I though I would show some Triangular Postmark from my d. Downey Head pages:

Die 1 Selection:

Die 2 Selection:

I am starting to delve into my d. Downey Heads, and am really looking forward to seeing what else I may have. Since these often accompany the 1d. in auction lots, I have accumulated a bunch over the last couple years, and remain unchecked so far. Just looking at the watermarks will be a chore! Not that I mind......

Have a good One,

Skilo54

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35846 Posts
Posted 10/15/2011   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice collection Skilo,
good to see collectors putting these aside
as a specialty.
My recent "collecting GB Postmarks" literature
sadly does not address these.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3149 Posts
Posted 10/15/2011   03:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rodney,

There's a brief section on them in the 7th edition: #19/59-#19/61 "used to denote posting under specific printed paper regulations - to 1968", also #19/69 & #19/70 "inspectors' marks", #9/112 "dumb cancellers for London Mount Pleasant" as sell as some other smaller and larger triangle marks.
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35846 Posts
Posted 10/15/2011   04:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Nigel,
I only have the 3rd edition,
quarter page just pricing the
telegraph code letters in triangle at 50c each
or London district initials at 80c each

provisional office numbers at 60c each

More a pricing catalogue rather than chapter and verse.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
669 Posts
Posted 10/15/2011   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add skilo54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind words, I love little collections of weird/wild postmarks, especially on Downey Heads!

With any luck the new edition of Collect British Postmarks will be out by the end of the year, and we can all begin re-evaluating the postmarks in our collection. I am really looking forward to it, as I know many others are too!

Here is one I picked up from one of the members here on SCF a while back, some may have seen it before, but in case you missed it:

Off to work, have a good one,

Skilo54
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 10/16/2011   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a numbered triangle - printed matter envelope.

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1700 Posts
Posted 10/16/2011   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Newbie to forums so still finding my way around.
Triangular postmarks...

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3149 Posts
Posted 10/16/2011   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to SCF scotzm! It's a friendly place - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thanks for posting these two. I like the combination of triangle and slogan postmarks. I've not seen this before.
Nigel
Valued Member
United Kingdom
28 Posts
Posted 10/20/2011   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bayman52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all, I found this thread while googling MB postmarks.
Reference your triangular postmarks, can I suggest using the book 'Newspaper Branch Cancellations' by Stitt Dibden. Unfortunately it is out of print but the occasional copy does show up.
The GPO issued a warrant in 1892 allowing circulars to pass through the post at the 1/2d rate and used a triangular mark. The first being from the Paddington Spring St Office in May 1893. and then as they say the rest is history!
Edited by bayman52 - 10/20/2011 8:04 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
25 Posts
Posted 04/21/2013   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tallanent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stumbled on this thread whilst looking for some other details .....

Everything within this tread is listed in the British Postmark database at http://www.philatelicweb.com/pmks/ and the details for location / use are all listed where known

ALLAN
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
Posted 06/08/2013   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ponso1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried Dr. Whitney's book - no luck. I would love to know the story behind this postmark.

Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 109 / Views: 29,281Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05