Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

GB Triangular Postmarks

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 26,353Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
3814 Posts
Posted 08/29/2021   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two covers I have handy:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 08/29/2021   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Triangular EA Handstamp

Interesting example Don
I am unable to identify this one,
Kobo fails to offer his full Telegraphic code ID.

It is interesting to note there are more than 18,000 possible combinations, of 2 and 3 letters, but that of these, the Post Office only used about 6,600 before introducing numbers instead of code letters.

Up to 1917 sub offices used their own telegraphic code.
After this date each office district number appeared on the handstamp, preceded by the district initial.

Edited by rod222 - 08/29/2021 10:42 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 08/29/2021   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,
WC Triangular Handstamp (As distinct from the WC Machine Triangular Impression)

London
West Central District
Until 1917 the head office used the letters "WC"
After 1917 the Letters "WC1" were employed.

The handstamps my be found with numbers above the initials, below, and in one line.

Two offices in this West Central District, did not use the Telegraphic Code

Beford Street (sic) (I believe perhaps Bedford Street) another typo?
"BED St"
and Charing Cross "CH+" or "CHX"

BEDFORD St near Charing Cross NW London (Red Balloon)

Edited by rod222 - 08/29/2021 11:27 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 08/29/2021   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
London
North Western District

Triangular Handstamp "NW1" (As distinct from Machine Impression)

Stitt-Dibden may have a typo here ?
NW1 not listed

Up to 1917 "NW" after, "N1"
I'd suggest he meant "NW1"
Edited by rod222 - 08/29/2021 11:07 pm
Valued Member
Malta
10 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kobo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EA is Easingwold in North Yorkshire.

The two/three letter codes are the Telegraph Office code held by a Post Office. I never found a complete list and gave up trying compile one. Ken Smith's web site (https://sites.google.com/site/ukpos...county/home) has many lists of UK Post Office data including where known the Telegraph Code, which is where I go to identify one I don't have on record.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 08/30/2021   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
EA is Easingwold in North Yorkshire.

Thanks Kobo !
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 08/31/2021   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The previously privately owned inland telegraph system was transferred to the State on 28 January under the Telegraph Act, 1868. Capital stock to the value of 10,948,173 was created to compensate the Electric and International, the British and Irish Magnetic, the United Kingdom Electric and other telegraph companies. The Post Office took over a service with 1,058 telegraph offices and 1,874 offices at railway stations. About 60,000 miles of wire was in use. Income was c. 550,000 per annum and the number of telegrams transmitted in 1869 was 6,830,812.
Pillar Of The Community
1044 Posts
Posted 09/11/2021   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe of interest and a help for a list of birthday or Chritsmas presents (at the bottom)

https://eirephilatelicassoc.org/abc...-cancels-113
Pillar Of The Community
3814 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here a couple more which recently surfaced:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,
Guessing.
FS = Foreign Section

908 = Wembley.
Pillar Of The Community
3814 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And 2 more "WC" triangles. The first with a larger "WC", without a period. The second is similar to the previous one I posted.

"FS/L" in triangle:

"060" in triangle:
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guesses:
FS/L = Fenchurch Street, London

WC in all formats = West Central London.

060 = Bournemouth Hants. (Hampshire) 1929-1962 (Geographic county of Dorset)

What would "ROW Curb Market Building" be understood as?

Edited by rod222 - 10/04/2021 03:19 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
730 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Time to check your glasses, Rod? It's odd how the pencil (?) line through the text changes NEW to ROW.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Frank, glasses are fine, I can still spot a pretty girl.

I could not understand the American phrase "Curb Market"
Google was my friend
What is meant by curb market?
Meaning of curb market in English

the trading of shares outside the system of official stock markets or at hours when those stock markets are closed: Smaller firms were often forced to trade in the curb markets.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1517 Posts
Posted 10/04/2021   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"curb market" - a regional term meaning "An informal market formed by parking vehicles containing goods to be sold at a street curb." Some such markets, with increased popularity over time, gained permanent homes inside large, open buildings. Example:
https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/rev...curb-market/
Today many might call them "farmers markets".
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 26,353Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05