Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's See Your Railway Post Office Rpo Items

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 12,993Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stamperdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In honor of the upcoming National Train Day on May 7th and the 40th Anniversary of AMTRAK lets see some RPO covers, postmarks, cancelling devices, mail pouch bags, RPO train cars, etc.

BTW I'm still on the look out for GM&O, Santa Fe, and other RR's covers that parallel Route 66.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a bunch of Belgian railway stamps (with a couple of tax stamps thrown in)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And my Union Pacific cover.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since mention was made as to the 40th anniversary of AMTRAK, for those who may be interested, there is a special 40th Anniversary AMTRAK cancellation dated May 1, 2011:

If you want the postmark, you have 30 days to send a self addressed stamped envelope to request it to:

AMTRAK 40th Anniversary Station
Supervisor SFS Cancellation Services
8300 Underground Dr. NE, Pillar 210
Kansas City, MO 64144-9998

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3568 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here's my contribution

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Previously posted at this link is an item that will fall into the category of RPO's:

http://goscf.com/t/12268&SearchTerm...mail,cancels
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 05/05/2011   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James,
Great stuff, especially that UPRR cover.

Jeff,
I love the page you made for your cover. It is worthy of framing and hanging on a wall (well maybe a hi-res copy).

I failed to mention that I just finished a book recently about the intertwined histories of RR's and Route 66: Elrond Lawrence's "Route 66 Railway". It had some beautiful pictures, informative text, and a wonderful journey across the country.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/03/2012   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This seemed like an appropriate place to post this one.
Anyone out there figure out which railroad this RPO is?
I make out, W. C.(?) Albuq. (Albuquerque) W. D.(?)
Got the RMS killer.
And TR8? Track 8? Did they get that specific?

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/03/2012   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your example looks like "K.C. & Albuq. W.D.". I'm not the expert but I think it relates to Kansas City (MO) and Albuquerque (NM) RPO.

Not sure about the "W.D." (or perhaps "W.B.") but my guess is that it stands for Western District, Western Direction, or West Bound.

"TR 8" is for Train No. 8.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1696 Posts
Posted 04/04/2012   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

One from the UK. A Highland Line TPO.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/04/2012   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the Kansas City and Albuquerque RPO, here's another similar (but not exact) postmark I cropped from an eBay seller on a cover that shows the ending initials as "M.D." instead of "W.D.".

Any idea what these initials represent? My best guess is that "M.D." is for Midwest Division (or District) and "W.D." is for Western Division (or District), or something along those lines, although I am not certain.

As I have seen several other examples with the "M.D." initials, I have confirmed that it is not unique to the Kansas City and Albuquerque RPO.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34148 Posts
Posted 11/12/2012   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Searching for "Paramount Stamp Hinges"
I came across this piece of information:

November 1924 "Boy's Life" magazine.

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1696 Posts
Posted 11/13/2012   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Seems like a likely place to post this...

I was lucky enough to get this cover which was processed on the very LAST trip on the very LAST day of British Traveling Post Offices. Farewell GB TPO's... except I'm still looking for a cover carried on the Glasgow to London (up) TPO service dated 8th August 1963

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1696 Posts
Posted 11/13/2012   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
M. D. = Middle Division
W. D. = Western Division
TR = Through Run
Edited by scotzm - 11/13/2012 11:34 am
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 11/15/2012   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ChickasawStampMan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My son is an very active in rail fanning... I want to try to get him one of these at the next stamp show I attend.
Valued Member
Japan
165 Posts
Posted 11/16/2012   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prahanoaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this thread restricted to English speaking country's TPO?

All different countries but all used in present Lithuania.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 12,993Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05