Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's See Your Railway Post Office Rpo Items

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5587 Posts
Posted 01/09/2014   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. The only school course I've failed in my life was geography. Makes sense since these are old family covers and we originally hail from Vermont.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1208 Posts
Posted 05/24/2015   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going through my Germany duplicates, looking for items I may have overlooked in the past to add to my collection. I found this guy:

It's Germany Scott 66 with a Bahnpost postmark. Dresden-Kohlfurt-Breslau, train no. 438, cancelled on January 3, 1905 ("3/1 05"). A search using Google Earth shows Kohlfurt is now Wegliniec, and Breslau is now Wroclaw, both in Poland.

(National Geographic 1914 map of Europe)

Regards, Robert
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
173 Posts
Posted 07/02/2015   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, a nice find from the duplicate pile! This is why I rarely part with anything with a legible cancel. As I learn more and more (as on this thread, with some of the foreign language TPO's), I can go back and dig up interesting things. Now I am going to have to revisit the Germany duplicate accumulation. :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1091 Posts
Posted 07/02/2015   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prahanvaki:

Since most of us do not read Japanese, is there any particular thing you look for in the cancel that would stand out to at least bring out the fact it is a RPO (TPO) cancel? I finally have the date system figured out, now to work on the cancel information. Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2239 Posts
Posted 07/02/2015   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here a U. S. Route Agent postmarked cover for the Chesapeake & Ohio, Route 174, Route Agent, Williamson's-Ashland, routing through VA, WV and KY. Note that the stamp is canceled with a negitive E, indicating eastbound travel. It may seem familar, as I posted it back in Oct of last year.

The rest of my RPO postmarks are cropped scans showing just the stamp (if any) and the postmark, these are on postcards found in my two county Redwood logging collection. The first is a Eureka & Scotia RPO, TR2 and the rest are Willits & San Fran RPO TR1.

Edited by littleriverphil - 07/02/2015 5:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2064 Posts
Posted 07/02/2015   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
re: Willits & San Fran:
Nice to have both the Will"E"ts, typographic error version and the corrected Will"I"ts version.
There seem to be a lot of typesetting errors in RPO devices.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2239 Posts
Posted 07/02/2015   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There seem to be a lot of typesetting errors in RPO devices.

As there are the only stikes I have of the Willits & San Fran RPO, I wonder when they noticed and changed the "typo" The two Will E ts postmarks are Apr and May of 1911, would you know when that train became a RPO?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1272 Posts
Posted 07/02/2015   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the items above is annotated by the owner, "Eureka & Scotia RR RPO." Just in case someone misinterprets the annotation, I believe that many US RPO CDS marks do not identify a railroad, but rather indicate the endpoints of the trip in which an RPO was present in the train and the item was canceled. In other words, there was no railroad known as the Eureka & Scotia. Instead, an RPO car was operated between Eureka and Scotia by a railroad such as the Northwestern Pacific or one of its predecessors and the mail piece was canceled somewhere between those cities. At Scotia, there would have been a change of RPO car, crew, or canceling device, or a combination of these. Similarly, "Willits & San Fran" denotes an RPO trip between those cities, on NWP or Southern Pacific depending on the timeframe.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2239 Posts
Posted 07/02/2015   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of the items above is annotated by the owner, "Eureka & Scotia RR RPO." Just in case someone misinterprets the annotation, I believe that many US RPO CDS marks do not identify a railroad,

The above mentioned annotation is my identification of the postmark, using the postmark measurement system developed by John H. Williams for his two volume book California Town Postmarks 1849-1935. You bring up a good point, I'll remove the RR.

spelling
Edited by littleriverphil - 07/02/2015 5:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3683 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I make out the postmark as 19550812.

I make out the train number as 5.

Q/ Corrections?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
Australia
224 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,
Some from Australia

Cheers
Ron

Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 06/18/2019   02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing special, just a few I found from a collection of coils on cover.

Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 06/18/2019   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HoosRec to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I posted this material in the Indiana Postal History Society Facebook group a few months ago. The images are from Carl Reichenbach's belongings. He was a clerk in the Railway Mail Service (RMS) and was the father of my great aunt, Virginia (Reichenbach) Heiss. Before her death several years ago, Aunt Virginia gave me a handful of items relating to her father's job. In the mid-1920s, he was on the route between Indianapolis and Cincinnati. I believe he later worked on routes between Indianapolis and South Bend and between Indianapolis and Cleveland. He lived in Pendleton, Indiana, and commuted to Indianapolis to begin his routes.

The first three images are from the December 12, 1925, "Schedule of Mail Trains" for the Fifth Division. That division included the states of Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. The next three images (plus a close-up of one page) are trip reports from Carl's "Memorandum of Trip Reports." The final image is a page from his Form 3844 book. This was an official hardbound book measuring 6 inches by 8 inches and about inch thick. It was assigned to Carl for his exclusive use. His first entry was March 23, 1925.

I don't know many of the details about the operation of the RMS. Maybe others can add some information to help explain what these reports represent.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1158 Posts
Posted 06/18/2019   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pendleton to Indianapolis was quite a commute in those days.

Somewhere in my family stuff, I have some similar items from my paternal grandfather. He worked as a mail & parcel clerk over 30 years for the Pennsylvania Railroad, based in Indianapolis, my home town.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 06/18/2019   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HoosRec to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a Hoosier, and arrived in Indy in '73 after college.

Yes, that was a long commute and I failed, when I had the opportunity, to find out Carl did that. My guess is interurban. If so, he would have walked a few blocks from Market Street down to Union Station. In any case, he made that round trip for many years!

Tom
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05