Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's See Your Railway Post Office Rpo Items

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 71 / Views: 10,070Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1202 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1911 Des Moines & Sioux City RPO cancel on postcard:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2407 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, quite a bit has changed since my first few posts in this thread, 4 1/2 years ago, then I had four RPOs in my Redwood Empire Two county postmark collection. And I can answer my own question.

http://goscf.com/t/14858&whichpage=4#379246

The train line reached Willits in 1902, my earliest Willits & San Fran is Oct 27 1903. I also have a Ukiah & San Fran struck on Jun 15 1903. Ukiah was the next station south of Willits, 22 miles.

Now there are 52 cards and covers all with North West Pacific RPO postmarks, of which most have been posted.
I snagged these four cards during Jim Forte's clearance sale. Three of them are all addressed to the same person, and posted while aboard the train. The author kindly noted the town nearest when he mailed the card, about 15 miles apart.
I guess Jim must have been quite busy when he identified these postmarks using the RPO catalog numbers. Here are the Wilits & San Fran RPO catalog listings.

985-U-1 is 30 mm, 985-U-2 and 985-U-3 are 29mm.

These two cards were identified as NWP 985-U-1.

The third card was identified as NWP 985-U-2.

This is the fourth card posted 13 months later, it was identified as NWP-U-3. Personally, they all look the same to me

Pillar Of The Community
2701 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last RPO example is definitely different. Note the distances from RPO to the W and the N.

The RPO catalog is a great effort, but one of my frustrations with the RPO catalogs is the use of tracings rather than scans (and the lack of killers). I have been told it would take too much effort to track down covers/cards and make images, thus any well-intentioned errors made by previous collectors to fill-in faint letters, etc., and accidentally create new varieties will be a long time before they are eliminated.

I doubt there are really 5 different handstamps in such a short time period. I suspect an inaccurate tracing or two has worked its way into the listings over time. For my own limited RPO collecting of transfer clerk markings, I have sought examples from each year to show the progressive damage to each device and determine the approximate date of device replacement. For example, the 1903 cancel above has a complete rim, and the three 1904 examples have a break over the LL of WILLETS, yet the tracing (like all tracings!) show a full circle for the rim. Not accurate for the rim condition for a tracing dated 1906. Collecting year-by-year helps ID MPOS listings which should be eliminated/combined. Bottom line, the MPOS catalog is a great effort, but has some pitfalls.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3991 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ASHEVILLE & CHARLES R.P.O.

This is a Valentine card from western N.C. to Lockhart, S.C. in the upstate area.

Presently, there is a slightly different Asheville & Charles R.P.O. postcard being offered on eBay. It is train #14 from 1907.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/31/2020 10:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
2155 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
August 1968 R.P.O. La Tour de Querol (France) to Barcelona

Pillar Of The Community
United States
910 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my small Iowa RPO collection, an October 26, 1908 Tama & Hawarden cancel, train number illegible. This RPO was on a Chicago and Northwestern train.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2407 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Three more strikes of the Willits & San Fran with a gap in the rim above LL, one is from 1905, two from 1907. The gap on all six strikes are 3.5mm.
Also a Willits, & San Fran from 1904. So there may have been five different handstamps used between 1903 and Oct. 23, 1914 when the NWP connected to Eureka. Willits was connected in 1902.
This postmark is a odd, having no stop after Fran, but looks like the train was moving when the cover was canceled.

Pillar Of The Community
2701 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something that may be useful in determining whether two steel postmark are alike or different is to draw lines on copies.
1. The difference in the gap at "A"
2. Drawing lines directly across the cancel and seeing the angle at which letters align, in 1904 the vertical lines of the I and N are perfectly aligned, in 1905 these same lines angle toward the center. Thus different devices.
3. The distance and angle of the period at the end of RPO and the final town name (not illustrated here). Punctuation is not always visible, so look for confirming features if the strike is not strong.
4. The angle between, the directions and lengths of the outward strokes of the ampersand, quite different on these two marks.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
910 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this card for its Thanksgiving illustration on the reverse, but would like to know where this RPO ended. Is the Oxford in the cancel Oxford, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, or Iowa?

Thanks

Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
169 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this helpful?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
910 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this helpful?

Yes, very, thank you.

Don
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 71 / Views: 10,070Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05