Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sign Here Please

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 203 / Views: 38,042Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 08/10/2012   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about, indeed. We are an equal opportunity thread. Bring 'em on stampvirgin!

Here's a some recent additions to my 'autograph' book.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 10/06/2012   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revicbaxter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1971 Literary Anniversaries
- John Keats (150th Death Anniversary)
- Thomas Gray (Death Bicentenary)
- Sir Walter Scott (Birth Bicentenary)

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 03/10/2013   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Friedrich Ebert (1871-1925) was a German politician of the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD), who served as the first President of Germany from 1919 to 1925. Here is an image of a stamp featuring a portrait of Ebert and his signature, printed by lithography, and issued by Germany on February 17, 2000, Scott No. 2069.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 03/10/2013   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd forgotten about this thread. I've been adding to my 'autograph book' when I come across them.

Here are a few recent additions.

President Zachary Taylor

First Lady Abigail Adams

Chemist Leopold Gmelin

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 03/28/2013   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805) was a German poet, philosopher, historian, and playwright. Here is an image of a stamp featuring Schiller's bold signature, printed by photogravure, and issued by Germany on May 5, 1995 to commemorate the centenary of the Deutsche Schillergesellschaft (German Schiller Society), Scott No. 1893.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2480 Posts
Posted 03/28/2013   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few that people might recognize:

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 03/30/2013   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joseph Fraunhofer, ennobled in 1824 as Ritter von Fraunhofer (1787-1826), was a German optician and physicist known for the discovery of the dark absorption lines known as Fraunhofer lines in the sun's spectrum. Here is an image of a stamp featuring Fraunhofer's signature and a depiction of spectral absorption lines, designed by German graphic artist Ernst K÷▀linger (1926- ), printed by lithography, and issued by Germany on February 12, 1987 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Fraunhofer's birth, Scott No. 1510, Michel No. 1313.

- nethryk

Edited by nethryk - 03/30/2013 06:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
544 Posts
Posted 08/04/2013   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bamra1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicola Tesla - inventor

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
544 Posts
Posted 08/04/2013   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bamra1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tito

Pillar Of The Community
United States
765 Posts
Posted 08/04/2013   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guykickinit to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would seem there are a lot more than first expected!
Member COPC.
Redmond, OR 97756 Mailer's Postmark Permit #1
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
544 Posts
Posted 08/04/2013   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bamra1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You know, it had never occurred to me for all these years, not even today when I was puttting my post together; but WHY did Tito sign his name in Cyrillic?

He was born and educated in Croatia. His father was Croatian and his mother was Slovenian. He was 34 before he went to live in Serbia, and that was quite probably the first time he had been there.

Of course, he was a Russian prisoner of war in WW1 so he may well have had some practice in Cyrillic then. But it still seems a very odd idea that when he chose the name Tito that he should not write it in Latin script. (I assume that when he was Broz he will have had a Latin signature.)

Perhaps his year in Moscow in 1935 meant he had to become fluent in Cyrillic script. Or perhaps it was a political gesture to the Serbs to show he was one of them,as well as a Croat.

But an interesting question...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1277 Posts
Posted 08/13/2013   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 1520.

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 10/10/2013   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Theodor Aman (1831-1891) was a Romanian painter of Armenian descent. His style is often considered to be a predecessor of Impressionism. Here is an image of an engraved stamp featuring a portrait of Aman and his autograph, and issued by Romania on September 24, 1956 to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the artist's birth, Scott No. 1111, plus an image of a self-portrait by Theodor Aman.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 10/17/2013   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I started this thread in 2011, it was on a whim. I'd been picking up stamps with signatures on them and putting them aside. Eventually I thought I'd get a real autograph book to put them in.
But now they are an exhibit for this weekend's Stamp Club bourse. Not sure what the judges will think. They tend to be pretty stuffy about these things. But if I may paraphrase our friend Blackjag, who is a fellow club member, "I really don't care!"

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1277 Posts
Posted 10/18/2013   03:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, so attractive and imaginative.
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 203 / Views: 38,042Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05