Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Many Of US Collect Expo/Fair Related Items

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 90 / Views: 17,746Next Topic
Page: of 6
Learn More...
9240 Posts
Posted 02/02/2016   4:39 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
paperhistory,
Wasn't the Great Lakes Expo only held in summer months? I thought they closed in late Sept, was this postmark used all year during 1936 and 1937?
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
658 Posts
Posted 02/02/2016   5:09 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what the current version of the Expo catalog says (the CD is at home, not here at the office) but I have seen some advertising collateral that suggests the Expo was open in 1936 until early October. I'm just starting into working on this expo after coming across a few interesting pieces.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/02/2016   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don: My Uncle Harry was an early & enthusiastic Polaroid promoter, but we kinda took a pass the Super-8 movie craze. Thanks for sharing yours. Cheers,
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 02/05/2016   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went to the '64 New York World's Fair as a pre-schooler! I remember the fountain with the huge globe, the Carousel of Progress, and It's a Small World -- the latter two went to Disneyland after the fair (where I saw them again, years later). Thanks for that trip down memory lane, Don!

For a change of pace, I thought I'd post some foreign fairs, today. Two from the International Colonial Exposition, held in 1931 in Paris (not sure it these were just French colonies), the 1910 Brussels Expo, and an undated postcard from the Canadian National Exhibition, probably from the '40s. I went to that last one, too, back in the early 1970s -- it's held annually, kind of like a big state fair for the whole country.

Anyone have some international world's fair material they can add?

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/05/2016   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Anyone have some international world's fair material they can add? ...

Well, as long as you asked nicely ...

https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=42640 ... Fiera del Levante, Bari, Italy

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 03/15/2016   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a cover that has always baffled and delighted me. It bears a slogan cancellation from Chicago's 1922 Pageant of Progress Exposition (which I'd never heard of) and has an added bonus of a "CSSA" perfin, which relates somehow to the Cunard Steam Ship Co., which mailed it.

But the most obvious thing about it is the lack of date and time inside the cancellation ring. How would something like this happen? Does it seem intentional or some type of error?

Edited by GregAlex - 03/15/2016 4:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 03/15/2016   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ldhaber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The item was sent 3rd class mail. 3rd class mail was not intended to be time sensitive, hence the PO did not date/time stamp it. The lower class of passage is also shown by the rate, 1 cent. I think you'd also find that the envelop was not sealed, also a requirement, if I recall correctly. That way the PO could easily open the envelope and inspect. Was not supposed to contain personalized correspondence, but generalized business mailings.
Edited by ldhaber - 03/15/2016 7:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 03/15/2016   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fast work -- thank you! And you are correct about the flap being unsealed. I wasn't aware that 3rd class mail received slogan cancellations; very educational. Mystery solved!
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 03/15/2016   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice cover!

Two weeks makes for an interesting, but not World Class, fair/exposition:

https://chicagology.com/pageantofprogress/ ... Pageant of Progress

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 03/18/2016   01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love the bit of trivia that this exposition was the first time that showing a movie on an airplane was tested. And it worked!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 04/16/2016   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is non-philatelic, but I was so surprised to discover this today that I thought I'd share it. How many collectors were aware that a world's fair even had a presence on our nation's paper money? The Bankers World's Fair National Bank of Saint Louis was organized in 1904, specifically to serve and commemorate the St. Louis World's Fair.

The bank issued $50 and $100 notes which are both exceedingly rare, but the Smithsonian has scanned their entire collection of certified printer's proofs from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. So here is a proof of the $100 note!

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that a World's Fair is a come-go-and-be-gone kinda thing, why in the world would someone trust this currency?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (clearly suffering the slave mentality of someone who grew-up trusting Federal Reserve 'fiat money')
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Daveinva47 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went to the Worlds Fair in Knoxville, TN with my church youth group when I was a rising high school freshman (1982). I "collected" the attached. It's a pamphlet, my pics are of each page.

Dave

Edited by Daveinva47 - 04/17/2016 09:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 04/17/2016   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The poster (en francais) for one of Canada's nicest stamp issues: EXPO '70

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 05/19/2016   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So here's a sorry looking cover, now minus it's postage, that never even made it to its destination. But it's saving grace is a rubber-stamped back commemorating a little known trade fair -- the first annual Western Washington Industrial Exposition, held in Tacoma in 1891. Anyone know anything about this one?

Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 90 / Views: 17,746Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05