Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Philatelic Exhibition & Stamp Show Labels & Poster Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 412 / Views: 75,081Next Topic
Page: of 28
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 07/02/2011   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few more Exhibition items, fresh from the UK !

Philympia [London] 1970:

StampWorld, London90 :

Issued by the Bath Postal Museum for their stand at the show and at the Museum in Bath:

Advertising Labels for Stampex 1980. Self-Adhesive sheet.

Sojex 1940. Camden,New Jersey,USA

Will there be more..........

Londonbus1......just stay tuned
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 07/03/2011   02:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have just been looking through the sheets and labels posted before I went on my UK trip when I did not have much time to have a good look.
Some amazing items, many of which I had never seen before.

Many thanks JCStamp,Russ and James for posting such 'goodies'.

Here are two more from British Philatelic Exhibitions.

1971, Seymour Hall,London. Nov 3rd-6th

Printed by De La Rue on stiff card, it shows an unissued KEVII 5 definitve. 3,400 were sold at the show.

1972, Seymour Hall,London. Nov 1st-4th

Printed by John Waddington of Leeds using their own Kirketch process.
[A method of reproducing good quality items that were originally recess-printed].

Printed on stiff card it depicts a 1956 Malta Definitive in black.
Cards are numbered on the reverse and may also have Red,Blue,Green or Black show cancels [one for each day].

Cards exist with all 4 handstamps and without any.

Ack: British Philatelic Exhibitions by Glenn Morgan and Graham Wilson

Londonbus1
Edited by Londonbus1 - 07/04/2011 3:56 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 07/03/2011   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

What is that image on the SOJEX 40 vignette?
A Face, A Map?

How does one go about collecting these Exhibitions etc?

US
Exhibitions
Stamp Clubs
Poster Stamps
Religion
Green Stamps

etc &etc?

I think I'll mount on blue quadrille with
a new heading sheet for the above etc.

There are many more

fuel coupons
baggage labels
selection stamps
country shows and comittees

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
506 Posts
Posted 07/03/2011   07:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think this one has been shown here yet.

Rather grubby and battered...

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
506 Posts
Posted 07/03/2011   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hadn't looked inside the cover above until now.

Goes to show that you shouldn't assume anything.

I thought that ordinary card had been used to stiffen the envelope. Lifting up the flap revealed this inside.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1497 Posts
Posted 07/03/2011   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"What is that image on the SOJEX 40 vignette?
A Face, A Map?"

I understand that the logo shows a map of the 8 southern counties of Jersey.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 07/03/2011   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think this one has been shown here yet.

Rather grubby and battered...

Grubby and battered but still very nice, especially with the cancel.
Strictly speaking, this is not a Philatelic Exhibition item, but an envelope and insert issued especially by the Post Office for the Jubilee celebrations in 1890.
Over 23,000 envelopes were sent from an evening Postal Exhibition at the Science and Art Museum in South Kensington,London. [Imagine, in just over 4 hours total, all those envelopes plus another 12,000 items of mail were sent from South Kensington that evening.These days, a Major 4 or 5 day International does not get anywhere near those numbers ! ].

There are many postmarks for the Jubilee celebrations at both South Kensington and the Guildhall which set up their own temporary Post Office.
Your cancel appears to be Dual Use-Type 2 although the colour is a bit confusing as the cancels for that type were in Black,Blue and Red, while yours appears to be Violet for the Type 1 cancel.

Mmmmm

You can check them out here:

http://philately.ttrr.org/gb/jubilee/cancels.html

Londonbus1
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 07/03/2011   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks 22crows...amazing how you do that!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
506 Posts
Posted 07/03/2011   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great link there for the 1890 Jubilee cancels, many thanks LB.

Alex

Pillar Of The Community
United Arab Emirates
507 Posts
Posted 07/04/2011   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add james to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LB, simply WOW!

I'll post some British Philatelic Exhbition labels apart from what LB has had posted soon ...

Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 07/04/2011   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I received an email from Graham Wilson, Co-Author of British Philatelic Exhibitions.
He was very happy with the 'new' finds I sent him and they will be included in the next Edition along with acknowledgments !

I am just about to send him scans.

It was a good weekend after all !

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
United Arab Emirates
507 Posts
Posted 07/04/2011   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add james to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LB ...

I've just come across a thread which was posted in 2008 & then got resurrected by spanishmoss (thank you) titled: "World Fairs and Expos ephemera":

http://goscf.com/t/3290&whichpage=1

Your exhibitions throughout the "11" pages are simply Superb!

I'm speechless and stunned!

Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
United Arab Emirates
507 Posts
Posted 07/04/2011   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add james to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LB said:

Quote:
I am just about to send him scans.

Is there a possibility to share such scans with me as well??

Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 07/06/2011   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James.....the scans are up here, previous page. But I can send them if you wish.

Yes, the Expos thread was great...still is. I have more Expo stuff to post there soon.

In the meantime, here are some more advertising labels from the British Philatelic Exhibition.
First, a sheet from 1978, Self-Adhesive.
Remember, these are Pre-Show labels and were not on sale at the Exhibition itself.

And a sheet from 1985 with part Dry-Print.

And a very nice design for the 1979 show at the Wembley Conference Centre.

And finally, for now, a 1980 sheet.

Londonbus1

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
741 Posts
Posted 07/06/2011   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received this one from a correspondent in New Zealand, several years back. Thought it was very well produced with a definite historical interest as well as the Philatelic connection.

Page: of 28 Previous TopicReplies: 412 / Views: 75,081Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05