Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Cancellations of the Third Reich Period  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 06/26/2011   01:53 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice history lesson Litho
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1981 Posts
Posted 06/26/2011   02:11 am  Show Profile Check jubilee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This postmark on a Bohemia & Moravia occupation issue, is for the Second War Mother's Day. I've posted this elsewhere on SCF, and the "bullet hole" in his temple was noted!

The cross on the postmark is the Cross of Honour of the German Mother, which was awarded in different metals in recognition of the number of children a mother bore. Interestingly, the award could be stripped if the mother failed to be the right kind of mother!

The first award was given to Frau Goebbels, who murdered all six of her children rather than let them fall into the hands of the Russians.

www.globalphilately.com
- Member APS & IPDA
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 06/26/2011   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice history lesson Litho

Yes BeeSee, history has always been a passion of mine.

I'm sure that stamp collecting had a hand in that.

One leads to the other, at least in my case.

One thing I find disheartening though is the fact that
most people don't read books anymore and get all their
facts from Wikipedia.
Now don't get me wrong I also use it to check up some facts on Wikipedia (not always right)
but to really understand history you have to do a bit of detailed reading.
History isn't just black and white, there are lots of grey areas .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 06/26/2011   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
History isn't just black and white, there are lots of grey areas

I don't want to misinterpret what you said, so I'll comment on what I think you meant.

History is what happened. Why it happened is where things get gray.

Take the American civil war for instance. 150 years later our country still cannot agree 100% on the reasons behind it. But what is not gray is that the United States split into two factions and fought a war. The decision by South Carolina and the rest to secede from the Union is History. The social, political, and economic reasons behind these actions and inactions are not history. It takes research to try to understand what people were thinking and why they made the decisions they made; trying not to make the same mistakes as before. This falls into the realm of psychology, imo.

But I digress.

Cheers!

Brian
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 06/26/2011   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brian since this is a stamp forum and not a history forum I suppose
we can't get into discussions purely about history. Otherwise
the Admin/Moderators will lock or delete the thread.

What I meant by grey areas is the fact that history is seen differently by the various
peoples/countries/etnics/religions etc etc involved.
In addition over time sometimes rightly sometimes wrongly the facts about a certain event or wars
is changed or revised.

Just look at what happened in the former Yugoslavia twenty years ago.
Serbs, Croats, Bosnian Serbs, Bosnian Croats, Bosnian Muslims
all believed and probably some still believe they were right
and good and the others were bad & evil.

You mention the Civil War. Even though I'm Canadian we were taught
US history and I have read a few books about it since.
Fifty years ago the main reason given for the cause of the war was
states rights NOT slavery.
Now when I read anything about the Civil War its always about slavery.

Lincoln, in a letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862

Quote:
My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

I'm also surprised that you believe that The social, political, and economic reasons behind these actions and inactions are not history
IMO , all these factors contribute to any event especially wars, revolutions,etc. If thats not part of history then what is?
Valued Member
United States
413 Posts
Posted 06/14/2018   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping this thread!

Today I got a picture postcard with an elaborate commemorative cancellation of the 1938 Reichsparteitag in Nürnberg (Nuremberg):

In addition to the usual historical interest that this card contains, there's also some personal history. I visited the Reichsparteitagsgelände when I was in Nürnberg on an exchange program back in 1984. The place was property of the U.S. Army, and if you stood on the grandstand where Hitler is standing in this photo and faced forward (as I did), you would be looking straight at the American flag. What delicious irony!

Another thing that made me want to buy this postcard was the disconcerting juxtaposition of sentiments in the inscription: "Congratulations on your engagement and a powerful Sieg Heil!"

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05