Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Pow Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 06/26/2011   12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rileysan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These came with a lot I recently purchased online.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4583 Posts
Posted 06/26/2011   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting cards Rileysan

I collect these cards and covers from POW camp either in Canada or from Canadian POWs located in Germany.

I also live only 14 miles (22KM) north of a POW camp that was in this area during WW II

Chimo

Bujutsu
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 06/26/2011   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm mildly amused by the form letter on the top postcard. I've done my best to translate. () denote words or phrases I'm unsure of. Any help offered would be appreciated.

"I am still alive and am (sheltered? Situated?) in British American Russian hands"

"I am well hospitalized and my address is below. Please (send a card as soon as possible?)"

Brian
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping this old thread to share with this forum a German POW postcard from my own postal history collection written the same month as "The Great Escape." (This is an American soldier in a German POW camp.)

Linus

Edited by Linus - 02/25/2020 10:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
549 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At least one of the tunnels (Tunnel Harry) is marked with granite slabs at the former site of Stalag Luft III.

That post card is a great philatelic-historical connection.

Robert
Valued Member
97 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just in case anyone wants to know: the original reads the following:

Top right

A member of the defeated army (Wehrmacht = defence force, but also the German designation for its army) seeks his next of kin.

Centre:

I am still alive and am (befinden = encounter/find oneself) at the time (z. Z. = zur Zeit) in British hands.
I am well (stricken is "in hospital). My address is as below. Please, return the card forthwith.

The text below the word "Kriegsgefangenenlager" (War prisoner camp) and keeping as close to the German text reads:

My beloved Edith!
Hopefully this message will reach you very soon, such that you can be without worry. I am good, am healthy. Hopefully, it is well with you and the boy. Heartfelt greetings and kisses to (?) all beloved, your Kurt.
Edited by NSK - 02/26/2020 1:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6398 Posts
Posted 02/28/2020   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At a show, I actually found a couple of these addressed to someone I knew as a boy. He was a man named Adrien Boutrelle, who was very famous at one time as a very important philatelic photographer. I believe the cards were from his brother, who was an early POW.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3691 Posts
Posted 02/29/2020   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This June 28, 1943 card shows that Yugoslavian POW Mimodor Kindij was being held at Stalag XVII-A in Austria.

From Wikipedia, "Stalag XVII-A was a Wehrmacht prisoner-of-war camp located to the south of the town of Wolfsberg, in the southern Austrian state of Carinthia...Officially, the camp was liberated by elements of the British 8th Army on 11 May, 1945. In fact the prisoners had been in control of the camp since the 8th, the day of the German surrender."

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05