Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eastern Silesia Wild On Ebay

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 07/12/2011   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BeeSee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This small used collection of used Eastern Silesia went for $51.00 on eBay, despite having a 2008 Scott catalog value of about $25.00 (and Scott warns of forged cancels).

http://cgi.ebay.com/330584357763

Are they under valued or have they increased in the 2011 catalog? I just cannot seem to snag used Eastern Silesia stamps at a good price. This is not the first time I have seen them go way above catalog value...

Send note to Staff
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS

Learn More...
United States
4680 Posts
Posted 07/12/2011   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you ever seen anything go DOWN in Scott catalogue value

KirkS
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1439 Posts
Posted 08/05/2011   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked the 2011 Scott Classic Specialized catalogue, and the lot is valued at $26.45. No real change from your 2008 prices.
Someone must like Eastern Silesia!

Jim Jackson
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5726 Posts
Posted 08/05/2011   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several of those have corner cancels that look identical...could be only a function of the cancel layout (maybe the month or day plugs are all different), but similar quarter circles make me suspect:(a) favor cancels or (b) hijinks with a canceling device (whether forged, stolen or other).

My 2d.

C.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/05/2011   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the stamps are cancelled Opava (Troppau in German). As far as I know, Opava was outright part of Czechoslovakia, despite being an enclave area in Eastern Silesia proposed plebiscite area, and should have been using Czechoslovakia stamps. This would further reinforce favor cancels as Cjd said.
BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 08/05/2011   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BeeSee,even though I feel bad for you that you didn't acquire
those stamps, it shows that there is still demand out there for
certain items.

That can only be a good, healthy sign that stamp collecting is
not dead yet.
Edited by lithograving - 08/05/2011 1:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5726 Posts
Posted 08/05/2011   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
stamp collecting...not dead yet.

You've got a new motto for APS there, perhaps?

Or, to borrow from Frank Zappa, stamp collecting isn't dead...it just smells funny.

C.

(Frank was talking about jazz, but...)

Pillar Of The Community
1439 Posts
Posted 08/06/2011   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opava (Troppau) was a German majority town in Silesia and would rather not have been part of Czechoslovakia. But it was occupied by Czech troops, and ended up as part of Czechoslovakia, at least until 1939 when as part of the "Sudetenland", it was absorbed by the Reich. Now as far as if it was involved in the plebiscite area where post offices had the Czech overprinted stamps, there is conflicting information. But the best site I found for information did not list Opava as a town in the plebiscite area.

Jim Jackson
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/06/2011   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that information Jim.
BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1687 Posts
Posted 08/06/2011   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you ever seen anything go DOWN in Scott catalogue value

In a word, Yes.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 02/14/2015   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I got lucky! I got these two pages for about $12 on eBay, and they just arrived. Eastern Silesia is almost complete, and it includes 2 copies of J1a with the black overprint ($60 each in Scott 2011), 4 copies of J10, and 1 of J11.

I will show some of the interesting items in another thread.

BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 02/14/2015   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow BC, I think you lucked out.

I just got the Harveys's 2 can dine for $9.99 special
plus HST and I think you got the the better deal.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
965 Posts
Posted 02/14/2015   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Outrageous bidding happens from time to time. Two collectors battle each other, both determine not to let the other person win no matter what the cost.
I recently saw a set of Polish stamps go for over 4 times Scott catalogue value when at the same time 3 other dealers had the exact same set for below catalogue price with a buy it now option. Go figure!
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 02/14/2015   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good one Litho. We don't have many Harvey's here, A&W will have to do - though I will take the Silesian stamps any day
BeeSee in BC
Valued Member
Japan
165 Posts
Posted 02/23/2015   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prahanoaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Timm

I can sometime go 5 to 10 times the catalog value if it involves a particular postmark I'm looking for.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27557 Posts
Posted 01/20/2019   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I was out-bid (Which is common these days) I do not win much.

Sold for $40 AUD. ($28 US)
I am always tentative about forgeries of these Opts.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05