Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Black Border: Memorialize Death  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
539 Posts
Posted 07/19/2011   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add SueStamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought this Queen Astrid stamp was very unique. I had a duplicate and so I auctioned it off and a comment was left stating that the black border was to memorialize her death.

I then searched my stamps and found a few more and want to know if it is true for all stamps with black borders and if that is what these are? Thanks!
Sue

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23607 Posts
Posted 07/19/2011   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are referred to as "mourning" stamps
see also mourning covers

use the SCF search option using mourning as a text string

http://goscf.com/t/10374

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 07/19/2011   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interstingly enough, this Canada 2011 cover I am just sending out with these Beneficial Insects series definitive stamps (of a couple years running now) all have black borders (varieties exist in border width from different years issues).

When I first saw them I thought , oh the poor insects, they are dying or dead, thinking the black borders signified a mourning acknowledgement. Not sure if they don't really do but it may just have been a design feature.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23607 Posts
Posted 07/19/2011   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting obsrvation Puzzler,
the designer possibly wasn't aware of the preceding
history of black borders.
A changing of the guard.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
539 Posts
Posted 07/19/2011   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all so much for the information on "mourning" stamps. Also I really appreciate the link, I am learning so much!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1106 Posts
Posted 07/19/2011   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada has never issued a mourning stamp indicated by black borders. In addition to Puzzlers submission, here's the only stamp that comes close as it has a brownish border for a past Prime Minister of Canada.

Learn More...
United States
4619 Posts
Posted 07/20/2011   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The United States has issued black stamps (e.g. 1923 Harding Memorial) for mourning -- but to the best of my knowledge, none with a black border.

KirkS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
539 Posts
Posted 07/20/2011   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KirkS,
That is very interesting. I did not know about USA had mourning stamps. I am adding that information to my 2 cent Harding page. Thanks so much!
Sue
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4536 Posts
Posted 07/20/2011   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In postal history, people back in the 18th century and right up to approximately the lates 1930s, would cringe upon receiving a cover (envelope) edged in black because it usually signified a death of a family member or friend.

Do any of you recall a country song called "The Letter Edged In Black"? I can't remember who sang it but Johnny Cash keeps coming to mind?? If so, you will know my meaning.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 07/20/2011   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen mourning covers that have a black border on the envelope in the US and abroad, but not mourning stamps with a black border.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 07/20/2011   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Germany issued a mourning set with black borders on the Hindenburg stamps after he died.
Valued Member
Israel
206 Posts
Posted 07/20/2011   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Seahorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a recent set (from April 2002) to commemorate Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, just a month or so after she passed away.

Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 07/20/2011   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add beezer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With regards to the 1923 Harding Memorial stamp, the July 2011 issue of Linn's Stamp News has an interesting write up about this stamp under the U.S. Notes section on page 4. This stamp broke Universal Postal Union rules that stated that stamps that paid the full rate of domestic surface postage had to be printed in red. Apparently the U.S. conformed to this rule from 1890 to 1932 with the only exceptions being this Harding stamp and the 1931 Red Cross commemorative. Interesting...
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 07/20/2011   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beezer, thanks for the info regarding the Harding stamp.

I wonder when the UPU waived that colour rule?

Here is an Austrian stamp which was originally intended for
the 75th Birthday of the then sitting State President.
At that time the Austrian president was the only live
person allowed to be portrayed on a stamp.
Now of course they stick on every Tom, Dick & Harry, alive or
dead.

But Schärf died before it was issued so they added the black border and it became a memorial stamp.

The vignette was engraved and the border typographed (letterpress)

Scott 741 1965

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 07/20/2011   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do any of you recall a country song called "The Letter Edged In Black"?

I had not heard of this before, but I looked it up and came across this. Quite a poignant song/poem to be sure. Here are the lyrics:

Quote:
Hattie Nevada, 1897.
Published by the Kansas City Talknig Machine Company.

I was standin' by my window yesterday morning
Without a thought of worry or of care
When I saw the postman comin' up the pathway
With such a happy face and jolly air.

He rang the bell and whistled as he waited
Then he said; "Good morning to you, Jack"
But he little knew the sorrow he had brought me
When he handed me a letter edged in black.

With trembling hand I took this letter from him
I broke the seal and this is what it said:
"Come home my boy, your dear old father wants you
Come home my boy, your dear old mother's dead."

I bowed my head in sorrow and in sadness
The sunshine of my life, it all had fled
When the post man brought that letter yesterday morning
"Saying come home my boy, your dear old mother's dead."

"The last words your mother ever uttered
Tell my boy I want him to come back
My eyes are blurred, my poor old heart is breaking
So, I'm writing you this letter edged in black."

"Forget those angry words that we had spoken
You know I didn't mean them, don't you, Jack
May the angels bear as witness, I am asking
Your forgiveness in this letter edged in black."
Pillar Of The Community
United States
858 Posts
Posted 07/20/2011   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spanishmoss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a sad song. Thanks for posting the lyrics, wt1.

Bujutsu, it looks like Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, and several others recorded it. There are several versions up on YouTube.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05