Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Soccer

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 53,900Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar Of The Community
2223 Posts
Posted 07/28/2011   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Cursus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Although this is a mainly American community, I take myself the freedom of starting a very European (and South American) topic: European Football or Soccer (as you call in America, and I've chosen as title).

What better start for a Soccer thread than with an item devoted to the present (2010-2011)European Champion: Futbol Club Barcelona.

It's a cover issued for the FCB Centennial Philathelic Exhibition, that took place on the FCB Museum premises, lasted for ten days and many postal and philatelic items were issued.
The stamp is the one issued by the Spanish PO for the club centennial with a design of the painter Antoni TÓpies. The cover illustration shows the team that won FCB first Euopean championship in 05/20/1992 at the old Wembley Stadium and the handstamp shows the different European cups won by the team and bears the text in Catalan "Sempre a Europa" (always in Europe), as the team has never failed to be in the European competitions.

Need I to say that I'm from Barcelona and a proud supporter of Futbol Club Barcelona?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2223 Posts
Posted 07/28/2011   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first philatelic item related to FC Barcelona was this handstamp used to commemorate the opening of the FCB stadium, The "Camp Nou" (New Stadium, in Catalan).
No mention to the club is made in the postmamark, as it was badly regarded by Franco's regime (for being a symbol of Catalonia). But, somewhat, our fathers managed to make the relation clear, as you can see in the covers shown below. They also organised an Sportive Philatelic Exhibition. The opening day 09/24 is the date when we celerate the holiday of one of the two Barcelona's Saints Patronesses, la Verge de la MercŔ (MercŔ's Virgin), which is a bank holiday in Barcelona.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5105 Posts
Posted 07/28/2011   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Matthias Sindelar, who many considered the best Austrian footballer
of the 20th Century was part of the 1930's Wunderteam.
Austria was one of the favourites going into the 1934 FIFA World Cup
but finished 4th.
Now the Austrian national team is so bad that they can't even
qualify for the World Cup.

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 07/29/2011   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cursus - While it is certainly true that soccer is far less popular in the USA than it is in the rest of the world, today many American children do play "the beautiful game" for their schools and in youth leagues. I myself had the pleasure of coaching kids on an Optimist Club team back in the late 1970s.

Here is an image of a stamp depicting a soccer player and Tokyo stadium, designed and engraved by Albert Decaris, and issued by Mali on June 12, 1964 for the 18th Olympic Games, Scott No. 61.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
2223 Posts
Posted 07/30/2011   04:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cover and postmark issued for the presentation of the FCB Stamps Exhibition on the 1998 Barcelona Stamp Show. Both cover and postmark bear the FCB Centennial logo, while in the stamp you can see a goal.

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 07/30/2011   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an image of a semi-postal stamp depicting soccer players designed by Finnish graphic artist and sculptor Tapio Wirkkala (1915-1985), engraved by Birger Ekholm, and issued by Finland on February 15, 1952 for the 15th Olympic Games held in Helsinki, Scott No. B111, Facit No. 409.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5105 Posts
Posted 07/30/2011   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nethryk, since I had previously seen Birger Ekholm's name only on
Danish stamps I thought he was Danish.
But then I saw you mentioning him on the Engraver's thread
and realized he was actually a Finn.
Nice football stamp btw.

FC Tirol Innsbruck won the Austrian football championship in 2000, 2001 and 2002.
But still went bankrupt in 2002. No wonder the national team is lousy.

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 07/31/2011   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving - Thanks. I would agree that the team of Tapio Wirkkala and Birger Ekholm really scored on that one.

Here is an image of another stamp depicting soccer players, designed by Pierre Forget, engraved by Jean Miermont, and issued by the People's Republic of Congo (Brazzaville) on July 15, 1966 to celebrate Congo's gold medal (1965) in the first All-Africa games, Scott No. 148.

- nethryk

Valued Member
Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
44 Posts
Posted 08/17/2011   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tomislav to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1994 Brazil World champions

Valued Member
United Kingdom
186 Posts
Posted 08/17/2011   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Marius to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 08/17/2011   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Soccer players and emblem, lithographed, and issued by Maldives on July 31, 1974, Scott No. 516, plus the official emblem of the 1974 FIFA World Cup, Munich, Germany, June 13 - July 7.

- nethryk

Edited by nethryk - 08/17/2011 10:25 am
Valued Member
Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
44 Posts
Posted 08/18/2011   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tomislav to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
United States 1994 World Championship

Edited by Tomislav - 08/18/2011 09:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 08/19/2011   06:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
West Germany and Chile in 1974 World Cup, lithographed, and issued by Grenada on September 3, 1974, Scott No. 553.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 08/19/2011   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Dutch in laws say no one plays like the Italians..but the Dutch are no slouches either !!

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
2223 Posts
Posted 08/19/2011   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FC Barcelona 100 Aniv. FDC:

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 08/19/2011   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
France World cup '98

Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 227 / Views: 53,900Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05