Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Illinois Bank Drafts, Checks, Revenues

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 16,181Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 07/01/2008   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stamperdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am interested in seeing examples of old Illinois bank drafts, checks, state revenues, and stock certificates.
I do not have any and would like to get an idea of what to look for and reasonable prices to pay. I have started a topical collection on Banking/Financial Services.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
Posted 05/09/2009   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't Missouri the "show me" state? Seriously, I just moved, but will check (pardon the American pun) my collection when I have some time. I don't have a lot of US, but I may have something.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 05/11/2009   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HA! You are correct, sir. IL is the "Land of Lincoln". I appreciate you checking your collection.
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
Posted 05/19/2009   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple IL cheques I found:

Bank of Benton, Benton, IL Sept 1, 1951. Vignette says: First bank auto window in Illinois
It has a light stain or discolouration in the centre and a small part of the upper left.

The reverse of the above cheque

The Commercial Bank, Mansfield, IL, March 6, 1897

There is nothing on the reverse of the Mansfield cheque.

Neither has any stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6745 Posts
Posted 05/19/2009   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, this is not a check nor a revenue, but a stamp with a perfin for use by the state of Illinois. I thought it was neat when I first saw it! Can you guess what the perfin looks like? The initial "I" is inside the insignia. The stamp is US #1042 from the Liberty Series.

Sorry for going somewhat off topic.
Valued Member
Canada
83 Posts
Posted 05/19/2009   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, that's supposed to be the letter "I" inside the shape of Illinois? Looks kinda cheeky though That's cool.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6745 Posts
Posted 05/19/2009   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, my memory is going. I can't remember if I read that it was the letter "I" somewhere or if that is my interpretation of the insignia.

k
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 05/20/2009   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chequer,
Thank you for sharing. I really appreciate it.

KHJ,
Neat! I had to stand on my head to see the outline of Illinois properly.LOL I will have to add one of those to my collection, I do not have many perfins. If I can find that perfin on a Lincoln stamp that would be perfect.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 05/20/2009   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can show you a february 1952 national geographic ..Vacation Tour Through Lincoln Land..i picked it up while cleanning the art room at the high school..they were throwing them out...has a map of Lincolns trail from Kentucky to Indiana to Illinois..must be 20 pages of Lincoln mania...perhaps you have already seen this copy !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 05/20/2009   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil,
No I have not. That would be great!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 01/27/2010   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have resurrected this topic because, I started it and I need to see if Phil still has that National Geographic he mentions above. Also, I saw an old check today written in 1911 from a defunct Lincoln Bank in Springfield IL. There was an vignette of a young tousled haired Abraham Lincoln on the left side. I wish I had a photo of it to share. If anyone has any old Illinois checks they'd like to give a new home let me know.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 02/15/2010   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a revenue paper bank check tonight at my clubs silent auction. It is from Peoples National Bank of Rock Island IL dated April 28, 1883. It is on Blue paper with a 2 cent Orange diamond shape revenue imprint. It has a Train station vinette on the left. It is listed in the Scott's Specialized as RN-G1. I purchased it for $5.00, I hope it wasn't too much.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 02/16/2010   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a photo of the check. Comments welcomed.

Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 04/09/2010   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Christopher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, Stamperdude, very impressive. I enjoy that fact that the check is in very good condition.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 04/09/2010   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christopher. The collector I purchased it from did a great presentation at our latest club meeting on Revenue Stamped Paper and I was quite impressed with his collection and knowledge. It really wet my appetite for more material to add to my collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6228 Posts
Posted 01/04/2011   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some Illinois items for you.

Loan agreement 1869 for the eerie sum of $666.66

Loan ticket 1915, notice the weird lines at the top of the document, must have gone through a sorting machine or something.

Back

Mortgage payment slip 1901

Warranty deed cover 1915

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 16,181Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05