Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Illinois Bank Drafts, Checks, Revenues

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 16,185Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 01/04/2011   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Stallzer. The 2nd image "loan ticket" with the cuts, they are a form of cancellation or check cashing so that it could be not be negotiated again (I think). Sometimes there are holes punched into a check to signify it being cashed.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 01/04/2011   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dude, offhand I do not have a clue where that National Geo went to..i will check for any Illinois items for you..Happy New Year !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 01/04/2011   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, mine are all the show me MO ...type :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 01/04/2011   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil,
I understand completely, right now I can't find my tongs.

B- That is too funny that all you could "show me" is Missouri.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 01/04/2011   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you find my MO bank notes... and show me state... amusing.
I aim to please. :)

The attached is new find from my holiday treasures... but I was really interested in the "cut" on the note, as you say, to indicate it was already cashed. Can you see it from this scan? I'll try another if you can't

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 01/04/2011   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
b,
is the cut in the shape of a X just below the "L" in national and "B" in bank? I think I've seen those before.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 01/05/2011   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes a portion of it is where you point. It has a hub in the center with four spokes radiating from it; the spokes are about an 1/8 " wide and make an X which is overall nearly 2+ inches in size. I'll try another scan tonite.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 01/05/2011   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that it the bank is from one of my favorite MO route 66 towns: St Louis. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I also noticed that the payee "A.B.B." is also written on the revenue stamp to pay the bank check fee above the manuscript cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 01/05/2011   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
allright? I'll bite, what's ABB.... stand for? a better bank? I worked in banking for a decade, and I don't know.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 01/05/2011   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just realized that the person signing the check is Arthur B Barrech (sp) and it was payable to him "A.B.B. or bearer" I think. There appears to be a second set signature on the revenue stamp at the bottom. Maybe he worked for the bank or it is the equivalent of today's "money order" or "cashier check" and he was the purchaser or remitter. Back then people did not have their own supply of checks normally from my understanding.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 01/05/2011   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly! makes sense. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 01/06/2011   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was as clear as the Mississippi River mud. I wasn't sure if I making sense or not to anyone else but me. Obviously no one else has anything to add, so I can make it up as I go.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 03/01/2011   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few recent checks I picked up. Not all of them are from Illinois but I figured that was OK, since I started this topic.

Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 04/14/2011   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StamperDude,

I found 4 checks from IL, each with a RN U.S. Revenue on it. One is from the Rock Island RR.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 04/15/2011   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
art,
Very nice checks. I really like the vignettes from the Brewing Company. I also have one of those blue checks from Peoples National Bank. If you run across any duplicate checks let me know. I'd be interested.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 16,185Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05