Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Illinois Bank Drafts, Checks, Revenues

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 16,182Next Topic
Page: of 3
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 04/25/2011   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StamperDude,

Are you collecting just IL checks, checks with an RN revenue or any check? I have several duplicate checks with an RN revenue if you're interested.

Art
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 04/25/2011   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am primarily interested in IL checks, with or without revenues. However, if I can tie a check to any Route 66 community that would be a bonus regardless of state.
Valued Member
Mexico
178 Posts
Posted 03/08/2012   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rtvstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interessting subject friends!

Regards!
Rodolfo
Edited by rtvstamps - 03/09/2012 12:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6228 Posts
Posted 03/08/2012   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a long way from Illinois Rodolfo :)

Please share more if you have them here

http://goscf.com/t/7212
Edited by stallzer - 03/08/2012 8:28 pm
Valued Member
Mexico
178 Posts
Posted 03/09/2012   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rtvstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for my wrong post, thanks for your observation!

Regards!
Rodolfo
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1153 Posts
Posted 07/01/2014   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple Illinois checks from my collection. Dickinson Leach was a distillery in Chicago -- it's interesting to see a diagram of a still on their check. The other is from Rushville. Not sure where that is but the vignettes are very attractive. Dickinson was engraved by Western Bank Note Co.; Rushville by Continental Bank Note.

I'm sure I have some Illinois stocks and bonds as well, but it may take some time to dig them out.

Edited by GregAlex - 07/01/2014 03:00 am
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 07/15/2014   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add diane to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if from IL. but this is what I have which is not much so to say...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
841 Posts
Posted 10/05/2014   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread has been dormant for a while, but I nonetheless wanted to show a couple of items I found in my relatively tiny 19th Century revenue-related check collection. I especially like the one that shows various University of Illinois campus buildings.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/05/2014   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to note the first example from Petefish, Skiles & Co., was named after Samuel H. Petefish and Ignatius Skiles. The banking firm is still in operation today and (remarkably) they still use the same typeface in their name as they did in 1898!

http://www.petefishskiles.com/About/

As for the second example, can someone explain the second check, which seems to have an "imprinted" two cent IR documentary stamp in the center, rather than having the stamp added thereafter? Was this an acceptable practice? It seems as though it would have been quite expensive to print checks with the documentary stamp included in the printing process.
Edited by wt1 - 10/05/2014 11:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
841 Posts
Posted 10/05/2014   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, revenue stamped paper is a whole sub-species of U.S. revenues. Scott gives them "RN" numbers -- this one is, I believe, RN-X7. You can see many other examples in the Back of the Book forum, this forum, and even this thread. They were generally in use during the Civil War era until the early 1880s and then were briefly re-instituted at the time of the Spanish-American War. Here are some other examples that I happen to have scanned:

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 16,182Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05