Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Denmark Early Numeral Postmarks

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 6,604Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
Posted 08/10/2011   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backroads to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a selection of early Danish stamps all displaying ring cancels and some also showing clearly identifiable numeral postmarks within these rings. I would really appreciate any help in identifying the Post Offices associated with these numerals.

I also realize than several of the postings are not clear but they are included in the hope that someone who knows what they are about can decipher enough to identify the Post Office involved.

Later issues in my possession all display named town and city cancellations.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 08/10/2011   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Facit lists these...not sure of an online list...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 08/10/2011   9:26 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1 = Copenhagen, 51 = Odense, 36 = Kolding, 4 = Aalborg, 179 = ?, 7 = Fredericia. I have an older Facit and it doesn't list anything higer than 173.
The above are only those I could read from the pictures, but if you have other numbers I can look them up.
Will
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 08/10/2011   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 2007 Facit stops at 173, as well.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
Posted 08/10/2011   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks hugely for the information.

You sent me on a hunt through a couple of other albums and I have a slightly increased list.

1 = Copehhagen
4 = Aalborg
7 = Frederica
36 = Kolding
38 = ?
51 = Odense
53 = ?
63 = ?
119 = ?
134 = ?
179 = ? (not available)
217 = ? (not available)

And one further question. Are the multiple ring cancels identifiable as to Post Office?

For example:

4 concentric rings dot in the centre

Five rings with dot in the centre. (Though I think this is most likely a Danish West Indies with the 3 cent denomination - have not had the chance to borrow a Scott and check it out)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 08/11/2011   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
38 = Lemvig
53 = Randers
63 = Skanderborg
119 = Itzehoe
134 = Uetersen
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/11/2011   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent! Keep this list going.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 08/11/2011   03:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking at a similar topic but for France at the moment.
I found this site which although it doesn't specifically list them numerically you can see some numeral cancels in some region entries.

http://denmarkpostmark.20m.com/

I also found this which may be of some use.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
Posted 08/11/2011   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent information. The German Script, for me anyway, does take some getting used to but the place names do match to the ones that Battlestamps and Cjd have already provided. I think I may also try and go further with the website as well because it does look like a very interesting work in progress.

Denmark does happen to be the country of the week that I am attempting to sort out. Move on to the other Scandinavian countries later but this one will take a while.

Thank you, everyone.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36188 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tony,
I have a piece of mutilated Stationery, with 62 in 3 oval rings,
I can see it in the above list, but cannot read it
Anybody?

Edited by rod222 - 01/07/2021 08:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
672 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a piece of mutilated Stationery, with 62 in 3 oval rings,
I can see it in the above list, but cannot read it
Anybody?

Pure guess by matching letters that I don't know but maybe Sakskøbing
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1838 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sarkjøbing, probably, since 1948 Sakskøbing.
Edited by NSK - 01/07/2021 11:53 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36188 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, gentlemen.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2121 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two allocations of numeral cancels in Denmark. The first in 1851 and the second in 1864.

There are also duplex cancels.

https://www.gpfs-online.org/danemar...knumeros.php

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36188 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great link, Bobby !
Another spelling again.
62 Saxkjøbing
Pillar Of The Community
United States
780 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tester & Hansen use the Sakskøbing spelling.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 6,604Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05