Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dubai - Scott # Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 2,487Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
744 Posts
Posted 08/11/2011   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backroads to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK - I am truly being lazy but I have not been able to spot these particular issues in the Scott catalogue. They are legitimate in that they have all been cancelled.

Note that there is a rather interesting cancel on the fourth stamp shown. Passed by censor - Pakistan. What need was there for a censor of incoming mail from Dubai in 1965? Is there something historical that I am missing here?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 08/11/2011   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These stamps are actually not listed by Scott. There are a significant number of stamps from these "small" sheikdoms that are not listed by Scott, but can be found in Stanley Gibbons, Michel, and the older Minkus catalogs. They might be in the old Scott "For the Record" section, which Scott discontinued in the 1990s. I'll see if I can pull out an old Scott catalog later. In the "For the Record" section, Scott only gives a brief description of the stamp set topic, date of issue, and denominations. No catalog number nor value is assigned.

The censor mark is probably associated with the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965. I would say that stamp is a "keeper".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by khj - 08/11/2011 7:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 08/11/2011   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, in the old Scott "For the Record" section:

Quote:
Educational Progress. Nov. 25. 5,10,15,20np; airmail, 30,40,50np,1r (8v). Souvenir sheet, 1r.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
744 Posts
Posted 08/11/2011   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks khj. If I didn't have books and bags and boxes all identified by Scott numbers, I would switch to a different system in a flash. The thought of cross referencing everything is quite intimidating though, even if it is frustrating to run across sets like this where the stamps are quite obviously postally used but still not accepted.

And yes, the Pakistan marking makes it a very good one to hang on to. I had forgotten that particular dispute had officially ramped up to war status for a while. Though the rationale of why the censorship was deemed necessary seems a little bit hazy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 08/11/2011   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Though the rationale of why the censorship was deemed necessary seems a little bit hazy.

Job security?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 08/11/2011   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So that you can still stick a catalog number to them, in the Stanley Gibbons catalog they are (from top to bottom)

Dubai #119, 121, 123, 124

k
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
30170 Posts
Posted 07/04/2017   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Others missing from Scott. (All listed in Michel)

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
30170 Posts
Posted 07/04/2017   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

For the record:
Steiner supplies 46 Pages of "Non Scott"

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 2,487Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05