Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dahomey

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 5,965Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
1447 Posts
Posted 08/24/2011   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jkjblue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was putting the Dahomey collection into my album today, and thought I would share a few of their classic issue designs. BTW, Scott lists 143 stamp descriptions for Dahomey for 1899-1940, and I have 42 total at the moment.

"Man climbing Oil Palm"
This is the most common design for Dahomey-54 stamps! Although Dahomey is one of the administered colonies of French West Africa,it appears this design is not shared by any other colony. As one can tell, it is bi-colored, and the stamp comes in an amazing combination of colors as only a French designed stamp can.

1901 1c black

What would be a French colony without a "Navigation and Commerce" stamp? Benin, the French colony prior to Dahomey, also had these designs.

1906-07 10c carmine (blue)
"General Louis Faidherbe"

This design is shared by other French West African colonies-Ivory Coast, Mauritania, and Senegal.

Faidherbe was responsible for expansion of French colonialism in West Africa. A renaissance man with many interests, he published a book on the Berber language.

1937 30c dark green

Not unique to Dahomey, but a common design type for the Paris International Exposition, this demonstrates the peerless French engraving designs of the era. Magnificent!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 08/24/2011   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're off to a good start. Yvert lists about exactly 143 issues through 1940, as well.

I didn't initially like the oil palm design, but it has been growing on me.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1447 Posts
Posted 08/25/2011   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cjd. Yes, it is my first post to include stamp images. :-)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 08/25/2011   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it is my first post to include stamp images. :-)

And a first-class job of it, too. Nice scans.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32775 Posts
Posted 08/27/2011   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Dahomey at 5 o,clock.....

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3081 Posts
Posted 08/27/2011   03:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting map Rodney! I've never seen Upper Volta called "Voltaic Republic" before.
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32775 Posts
Posted 08/27/2011   04:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bingo!
I cut this from an old school atlas IIRC some years ago,
as I was posting it today, I noticed that as well,
and was reflecting on battery cells, not upper volta.

What a chequered history........
http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Burkina_Faso.html

That date line, dates my old school atlas to 1958

Did you notice just above the voltaic republic,
that fabled and mysterious town of Timbukto :)

Edited by rod222 - 08/27/2011 05:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
Posted 08/27/2011   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The mapmakers weren't snoozing, as "Ghana" would have read "Gold Coast" only the year before.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/27/2011   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And to the right of Ghana is the Togoic Republic.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 08/27/2011   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just found one of my few Dahomey stamps. It must be one of the few stamps that shows a wrecked car.

The inscription reads:

"Evacuation of the fort and the end of Portuguese occupation at Ouidah"
"Burning of the fort by the previous occupants"
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32775 Posts
Posted 03/02/2017   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Discombobulated.

Which is Scott #42 ?
Would the corollary be, that the other is a "colour changeling"?

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3081 Posts
Posted 03/02/2017   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SG has this stamp as black & violet. I don't see this value in any of the later colour change sets so I guess that you're right and the blue one is a colour changeling.

I expect a red ink was used in the mix for the violet shade and it has faded leaving the blue shade.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 03/02/2017   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Portuguese fort at Ouidah (see BeeSee's 8/27/11 post) used stamps of St. Thomas & Prince Islands. Some years ago, Portu-Info, the quarterly journal of the International Society for Portuguese Philately, had an article on the history of the fort. ST & P stamps cancelled at the fort seem to be very hard to find. I've looked, but have yet to find one.
Edited by Climber Steve - 03/02/2017 5:07 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32775 Posts
Posted 03/02/2017   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Guys.
No ST&P Pmks here.
With more gaps, than an old picket fence........

Would look handsome if completed.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32775 Posts
Posted 07/10/2021   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumped Thread, last post 4 Years ago.

A few more added to the "Man climbing palm"
(48 value/colour combinations)
1913 Steiner Page 4.

1913 Steiner Page 5.

1913 Steiner Page 6.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32775 Posts
Posted 07/10/2021   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postage Dues.
1906 Steiner Page 16.

1941 Steiner Page 17.

1963 Steiner Page 81.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 5,965Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05