Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 US Stamp Issue - Weathervanes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 4,904Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/31/2011   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A just announced 2012 issue, yet I'm confused. I thought that the 44-cent denominated first class stamps were being replaced by Forever stamps in all cases, yet this bucks the trend.

Maybe it has to do with these being available in high volume coils and they don't want to give large users the privilege of using the stamps "Forever"?

Quote:
These stamps feature photographs of five eye-catching weather vanes made in the United States during the 19th century. All five weather vanes — a cow, an eagle, two roosters, and a centaur — belong to the collection of the Shelburne Museum in Shelburne, Vermont.

Prior to the invention of the barometer in the 17th century, weather vanes were indispensable instruments for observing and predicting the weather. Before 1850, American weather vanes were largely the work of individual craftsmen or skilled amateurs. However, during the second half of the 19th century, factories around Boston and New York City began mass-producing them, ushering in what collectors now consider the "golden age" of American weather vanes. Today, weather vanes from this period are not only valuable collectibles, but also intriguing examples of American folk art.

Art director Derry Noyes designed the stamps, which feature photographs taken by Sally Andersen-Bruce.

These stamps will be issued in a First-Class Mail large coil format.
Send note to Staff
Edited by wt1 - 08/31/2011 07:40 am

Learn More...
United States
4729 Posts
Posted 08/31/2011   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WT...

I believe the subtle distinction is that all new COMMEMORATIVE stamps are being issued as Forever Stamps. These are definitive. As you suspect, the main difference I have seen is that one cannot purchase a "roll" of Forever Stamps.

KirkS
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/31/2011   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can currently purchase a roll of the Lady Liberty/Flag Stamps as "Forever" issues. So why not this issue?
Edited by wt1 - 08/31/2011 08:23 am
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 08/31/2011   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The idea is certainly not a new one. here is SC3258 Sorry for the deplorable condition as I don't collect newer singles.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/31/2011   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget the infamous first self-stick stamp with a weathervane (Scott 1552):

As most of us know, this stamp was not well produced, as it is known to discolor and the gum disintegrates over time. In fact, in the example shown above, I have it in a mount in my stamp album and when I removed it for this scan, the face of the stamp was so tacky that it was actually sticking to the mount. (Ugh!)
Edited by wt1 - 08/31/2011 09:35 am
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 08/31/2011   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All five weather vanes - a cow, an eagle, two roosters, and a centaur

The second stamp, the eagle, sure looks like a duck with webbed feet to me anyway. The bent beak is not a duck but it fooled me to start with.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/23/2011   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
USPS on Facebook has just announced that January 20, 2012 will be the date of issue for the 2012 Weathervane Stamp shown in this thread, although I assume it will be denominated at the increased first class rate of 45 cents.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/30/2012   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just received my order today from USPS SFS for the 45c Weathervane Coils. Interestingly, they are mounted to backing paper. Extra waste, but it does make it much easier to separate the stamps when being used for postage. I have also highlighted the areas where the USPS microprinting appears on each variety of the stamp as well as the Plate Number Single:

I should point out that the above stamps were taken from the 10K coil. For whatever reason, the 3K coil variety is on backorder.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 02/27/2012   10:47 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My local post office just received a 3k coil roll of these stamps today. It looks like a small spare tire for a Yugo. I purchased a strip of 20 for now, but will bulk up when I have another large mailing. As far as I can tell from the above photos and what I have in hand, I cannot see any obvious differences between the 3k and 10k varieties.

Will
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/27/2012   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. The only difference seems to be on the backing paper. The 3K coil have 5 digit backumbers; the 10K coil have 6 digit backnumbers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 02/27/2012   12:28 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have 4 digit numbers on the backing paper for counting. I got the first strip of 20 from the roll so its 3000 and 2990.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3012 Posts
Posted 02/27/2012   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone wants to sell a strip of 5, please let me know.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/07/2012   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My local post office just received a 3k coil roll of these stamps today. It looks like a small spare tire for a Yugo.

I never realized before just how large these coil rolls actually are until I recently found this image of the 3K and 10K coils. I presume the large center hub is intentional to allow placement of the coils into high speed mailing equipment:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33586 Posts
Posted 07/15/2018   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As most of us know, this stamp was not well produced, as it is known to discolor and the gum disintegrates over time. In fact, in the example shown above, I have it in a mount in my stamp album and when I removed it for this scan, the face of the stamp was so tacky that it was actually sticking to the mount. (Ugh!)

Free gift from SCF member Steve Tomisek. Thank you.

Some breakdown of one of the surfaces.

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 4,904Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05