Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Classic Stamps Of Danzig

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3700 Posts
Posted 10/23/2018   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Danzig plate flaw Mi. #202 pf II. Michel call this one "comma above left tower". Postmark is LUPOSTA 1932 special cancel running down sideways.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28783 Posts
Posted 10/23/2018   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone just bought some Danzig?
Nice find.
Saved and shall check my issues.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3700 Posts
Posted 10/04/2019   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is Danzig Mi. #21 PF I. This is the "Denzig" overprint error ("e" instead of "a") which occurs on Michel #s 21-3, the 5, 15, and 20 pf. Germania script overprints.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jboden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is an interesting stamp. Mi19-DD-I, being a double overprint of the new value.
Does anyone know about the mutilation error of letter D in 'Deutches'?
I've messed around with coloured filters and the date stamp figures of [27 8 2 ] are readable so I'm assuming that the final figure is a 1 since the stamp was issued in 20th November 1920 and withdrawn 30 June 1922. The quality of the CDS is such that I very much doubt that this was issued as a CTO.
Error: (i) [Mi89x] Letter D in 'deutches' mutilated on the right outer edge, (ii) double overprint of new value. NOT C.T.O. Date stamp: 27 8 2[1].
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3700 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jboden, I don't see any mention of such a plate flaw in Kohl's Briefmarken Handbuch (a more detailed catalog than Michel). Also, Schueler's Spezialkatalog Der Danzig-Briefmarken says nothing about it. This does not necessarily mean that it is not a constant variety. I am just not aware of a more detailed catalog for the watermarked Germania stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3700 Posts
Posted 02/17/2020   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a constant plate variety for Mi. #72 as listed in the Schueler catalog. It is a streak of dark blue overprint dots above "Danzig". It occurs on fields 53-7.

Valued Member
Romania
121 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello
I have many stamps of Danzig.I need help for the left stamp.The gum have vertical lines and no watermark.
The two stamps are type "missing holes in the corners"
Thank you

Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jboden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The left-hand stamp is Mi 272D whilst the right-hand stamp is 194Dy - both vending machine stamps
Valued Member
Romania
121 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my cat.Michel for 272D write:"like 194y,but changed color"
OK,the color was changed (bluish green/green)but missing watermark is correct for 272D ??? (194y have watermark)...and the gum(with vertical lines) like Mi#292x.Curios stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3700 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp is actually Michel #292Dx, which is the 1938 coil stamp with vertically ribbed gum and swastika watermark.

If you believe you have an extra rare "one of of a kind" unwatermarked variety, you should submit it for expertization.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/18/2020 7:46 pm
Valued Member
Romania
121 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   02:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello bookbndrbob
I asked about the watermark to find out if another collector has a similar stamp.
Being a variety collector I try to share the information about my varieties (accidental or constant and registered-see a very interesant site: "worldstampsproject")
The stamp on the left (Soviet occupation in Germany) is mine and the first answer about his condition would have been dirt on the plate or insufficient ink. What do you think now when I found (koepfe1 site) a second stamp similar to mine (different from perforation , which means they were not printed in the same lot)
I have two Danzig varieties of overprint that I think are not registered. Did you have this in your collections or have you seen similar copies online?

Thank you

Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jboden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bookbndrbob: Thank you for the information re Mi 292D. I didn't realise that there was a 'coil perforation' version.
[Note to myself: "read the small print"]
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3700 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cupram, here're my opinions on the stamps shown above.

The Thaelmann stamp appears to be a constant plate variety. Unfortunately, I don't have a reference beyond Michel for this interesting series. Michel only lists 3 plate flaws for this stamp; there must be many.

The Danzig #158 looks to be printing freak. The Schueler catalog lists "top of "n" missing (field 6), but I don't think this stamp is it.

The Danzig #183 appears to be Michel plate flaw 1. It is consistent with my examples. Also, I checked for the left frame damage and Shueler lists only "linker Rand eingebuchtet" (left margin indented, fields 31 and 61) but this stamp may just be sloppy printing, as is very common on Danzig stamps
Valued Member
Romania
121 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks bookbndrbob for the analysis.
I still hesitate in classifying these stamps.
For 158 it is possible to be before breaking the letter "n".I look forward to finding a similar stamp.
In my Michel 2011 catalog, # 183 I plate flaw refers to the letter P of "Phennig". In my stamp the foot of the letter "g" is missing. I haven't found any references yet.
George
Valued Member
Romania
121 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello
Are these overprints genuines?
Thank you.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05