Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Saint Anthony's Guide

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 14,882Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
561 Posts
Posted 04/09/2016   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This stamp is in poor shape, but still very nice.
I can't find any info on it, but appears to be a SAG,
maybe a bit earlier.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6043 Posts
Posted 04/09/2016   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did someone get the name wrong ! Or is it me ? The name is St. Anthony's GUILD not Guide .
Pillar Of The Community
1437 Posts
Posted 04/09/2016   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's you, floortrader. Check out:

http://www.traditioninaction.org/re...h128_SAG.htm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8097 Posts
Posted 04/09/2016   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is St. Anthony's Guide. As a young Catholic I remember any time I lost something of value my mother used to tell me to pray to Saint Anthony. He would listen and guide me to where ever it was I lost my item.
Also, the hymn shown on the last post by Ciletaliph, "Si quaeris miracula" is a very famous poem written in the 12th century and even to this day sung in the Catholic Church as a prayer to Saint Anthony.

Peter
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jb100056 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found one of these today and I am going to use it; I feel the need to write my 13 year old a letter asking her to talk to me more, some, a little?

I won't personally deliver it to her but hope that St. Anthony gives her the message that I can't. In the meantime, I'll play with stamps to keep my mind busy.

Why not use it for it's intended purpose. Maybe someday she will find it and read it. Yes, of course I will keep the physical letter, sealed with faith of the Cinderella stamp created by the Guild.

I realize this is an old string, but don't care if anyone ever reads it.
Valued Member
Ireland
292 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the 1960s we used to write "SAG" on the back of envelopes. It was "St Anthony Guide".
He is also the "go to guy" if I lose anything although my wife is a "Jesus lost, Jesus found" person ...a reference to the New Testament story where He was lost in the Temple.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36248 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bid $450 2014
1934 American banknote.
Click to enlarge.

From my collection, 1934 issue is centre.
Edited by rod222 - 04/10/2019 7:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mean to be contradictory, Rodney (or do I???) but your 1934 SAG label in the centre image reads 1924 on the bottom. You have 1924 in your original post. How did the auction image you have get it wrong?

And I see your labels are on the SAG website that was posted above. Did you contribute an image to their site?

And here's my contribution to the thread. My two lone SAG labels, one the same as Maiden's on the original post.

Edited by jamesw - 04/10/2019 9:37 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36248 Posts
Posted 04/10/2019   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi James,

Quote:
but your 1934 SAG label in the centre image reads 1924 on the bottom.

Indeed it does, however it is joined alongside a copyright icon, James.
It is 1934 produced.

Quote:
Did you contribute an image to their site?

Interesting...no I did not, James. However, all my scans are free to use, (except where I have stated "not mine" or referred to a link)
Edited by rod222 - 04/10/2019 10:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wyostamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a favorite S.A.G. item from my collection -- a 1902 cover mailed from Ireland to NYC (should have been Brooklyn), address insufficient but duly supplied by the post office, per handstamps and penciling. Proof that the Saint doesn't have to rely on miracles to get his work done!
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YefimR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a booklet of 50 seals produced in Patterson, New Jersey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spanishmoss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spotted SAG stickers in a Catholic catalog today.

Nice to see they are still being produced, although they don't resemble stamps anymore.

https://www.traditionalcatholicpubl...m/n-sag.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8097 Posts
Posted 05/14/2019   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
>>>Nice to see they are still being produced, although they don't resemble stamps anymore.<<<

Well, stamps don't look like stamps no more either.

Peter
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 14,882Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05