Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Did You Know That Dracula Was A Stamp Collector?!

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/30/2011   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Well, maybe not the "real" Dracula, but the actor playing the role, as in Bela Lugosi.

I can't say I recall this name ever coming up with reading about famous people who were stamp collectors, but here's a photograph that apparently proves it, as it shows Mr. Lugosi pouring over his stamp collection:

Okay, let's see a show of hands ... how many knew about this one? I, for one, didn't!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2277 Posts
Posted 09/30/2011   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nitrolures to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how many modern day actors/ actresses are colecting if not for pleasure for investments. Could see Nicolas Cage all alone on his Island hoarding all the good stuff.
Back to Bella-- He scarred the peeee out of me when I was little. Something about the old school horror movies that was genius. Lugosi had to be the best Dracula and even modern day "the Count " on sesame street is modeled after his features. Did transylvania ever have there own postage or would that fall into romania?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
26479 Posts
Posted 09/30/2011   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, not me either.....
great image wt1

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did transylvania ever have there own postage or would that fall into romania?

Under Hungary, I think, as per this quote:

Quote:
The Scott standard catalog has 11 different headings of occupation stamps for Hungary: Arad Issue; First Debrecen Issue; Second Debrecen Issue; Temesvar Issue Under Romanian Occupation; First Transylvania Issue; Second Transylvania Issue; First Baranya Issue; Second Baranya Issue; Temesvar Issue Under Serbian Occupation; Banat, Bacska Issue; and Szeged Issue.

Although, I guess we're both right, depending on the year:

Quote:
In August 1940, the second Vienna Award granted the Northern Transylvania to Hungary. After the Treaty of Paris (1947), at the end of World War II, the territory was returned to Romania. The post-World War II borders with Hungary, agreed on at the Treaty of Paris, were identical with those set out in 1920.
Edited by wt1 - 10/01/2011 12:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2277 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nitrolures to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No wonder Vlad was such a tyrant he didn't know who to fight for and just killed em all!
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's kind of neat! Nope I had no idea! I believe I have 1 or 2 of the USPS pins though..
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1685 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Okay, let's see a show of hands ... how many knew about this one? I, for one, didn't!

I did, I have seen this picture many times before. I also remember reading that Vincent Price was a serious Philatelist as well.

For those who know the name but can't place the face.

Edited by revstampman - 10/01/2011 10:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6366 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this could be the start of another thread. Famous collectors.
How many can you name. Ernest Borgnine of course appeared here recently. What about FDR, QEII (as well as her father and grandfather). My favourite of course is Bart Simpson.
Can we name any more?
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did read in a recent thread that Bart Simpson was a stamp collector. But he must have been hooked on it from his father, Homer, as this would suggest that he was a stamp collector, too!

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about Ayn Rand as a stamp collector?

An excellent re-telling of her stamp collecting story appears at this link:

http://www.artonstamps.org/champs/ayn-rand.htm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome stuff as always, wt1.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1091 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread. I read where the Queen of England is a serious collector, and has a collecgtion that values over 100 Million Pounds! Of course being royalty helps in getting things I suppose (something I will never have to worry about! Ha!

Bob
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1685 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Off the top of my head I can think of the following:

John Lennon (as a child)
King Farouk, Egypt (also Coins)
Sir Charles "Charlie" Chaplin
Simon Wiesenthal
Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones
Dwight D Eisenhower's collection is in The Spellman Museum
Theodore Steinway (Steinway Piano's was a member of The Collectors Club)
John duPont bought the British Guiana penny black in 1980.

I forgot The royal Family of Monaco
Edited by revstampman - 10/01/2011 12:11 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about Freddie Mercury ... he even had some fiscal/revenue stamps according to this link:

http://postalheritage.wordpress.com...bum-on-show/
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4572 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting

I didn't know about Bella Lugosi or Vincent Price. I knew Vincent Price was heavy into art but didn't know he was also collecting stamps.

Also, another member in here mentioned Ernest Borgnine, which is true, but, I also heard that he was once part of the U.S.P.S. advisory board for stamp designs as well.

On another note, Gary Berghoff, who played "Radar" on M.A.S.H. is also a collector and one of his specialties is U.S. airmail stamps.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 10/01/2011   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now, now - let's not forget Maria Sharapova.

http://stampcollectingroundup.blogs...arapova.html

http://stampcollectingroundup.blogs...arapova.html

French President Nicolas Sarkozy is also a collector.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7910711.stm

Ryan
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05