Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US : Forgeries, Facsimiles, And Phantasies.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 2,967Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30865 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'd like to write up a page on the following,
I know nothing about them, but if you know some gossip,
anything at all, I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you want to know? I can't speak for the authenticity of the stamps or whether they are fakes or forgeries, as that's not my speciality, but as for the first three scans, they are stamps of the Confederate States of America, issued during the Civil War.

The first scan is CSA Scott #8 with image of Andrew Jackson, said to be: Sheet of 200 (two panes of 100 each). One plate. Printed by Archer & Daly of Richmond, Virginia. Earliest known cancellation: April 21, 1863. Issued to prepay drop letter and circular rates. Strips of five used to prepay regular ten cent rate.

The second scan is CSA Scott #6 (if on hard medium paper) or #7 (if on thin to thick paper) both with image of Jefferson Davis. Plate of 400 in four panes of 100 each. No imprint.

No. 6 represents London printings from De La Rue & Co., a number of sheets being sent over by blockade runners. Fine clear impressions. The gum is light and evenly distributed. Exact date of issue unknown. Earliest known cancellation: April 16, 1862.

No. 7 locally printed by Archer & Daly of Richmond, Virginia from plates made in London, England by De La Rue &Co. Printed on both imported English and local papers. Earliest known cancellation: August 15, 1862. No. 7 shows coarser impressions than No. 6 and the color is duller and often blurred. Gum is light or dark and unevenly distributed.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The final scan with a $36 Newspaper Block is clearly stamped a facsimile. If it were authentic, it would be quite rare as it would be designated as Scott PR30 with an unused single value of $2,500.00. The design is essentially the same. The authentic ones were printed by the Continental Bank Note Company in Plates of 100 subjects in two panes of 50 each. Size of design: 24x35mm. Issued: January 1, 1875. Perf. 12.
Edited by wt1 - 10/09/2011 08:35 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30865 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks wt1, that is great!

Looking for anything to capture interest to the reader of the page
Frajola does quote some printers of the forgeries,
just wondering if anyone on SCF that is aufait with CSA
to offer nuggets of info.

Yours is great!

PS I have a page of CSA stamps (H E Harris page)
all have "facsimile" printed on the reverse.

These three stamps shown did not.
Edited by rod222 - 10/09/2011 08:35 am
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to help.

I should note that the above information was taken verbatim out of the Scott Specialized Catalog of U.S. Stamps and Covers. My copy of that catalog dates back to 2002, but I doubt much of anything has changed in terms of the historical information recited above.
Edited by wt1 - 10/09/2011 08:38 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30865 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's cool,
I would have quoted your name on the page,
so I'll quote Scott.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1697 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, The 2nd stamp(Dark Blue) is a fake. I'll see if I can track down the Forger for you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1697 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found the Forger. The 2nd stamp(Dark Blue) is an Samuel Allen Taylor Forgery.

For those interested in CSA Fakes I would recommend Col. Kevin Baker's Website.

http://home.comcast.net/~kr.baker/c...s/index.html
Edited by revstampman - 10/09/2011 11:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In May of this year, the National Postal Museum acquired a 400 subject plate of the 5 cent Jefferson Davis. The plate is a typography copper plate made by De La Rue & Co. and was captured from the British ship Burmuda on April 27, 1862 while it was trying to run a blockade.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30865 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much Gentlemen!
looks like I have a genuine CSA 6 and 8
so I'll have to check their value.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/09/2011   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 2002 Scott Specialized Catalog, so the prices may have to be adjusted to today's market, but surprisingly, even genuine CSA #6 and #8 go for quite modest catalog values.

The CSA #6 at $10 or $7 (no gum).

The CSA #8 (brown red) at $70 or $52.50 (no gum). (There is also a #8a (pale red) but I don't believe that's the color of your specimen.)

Now if you had a legitmately cancelled copy of the CSA #8 stamp, the price would rise to five times the value of an uncancelled stamp.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 10/10/2011   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod. Don't know if this will be a help but here's an interesting download from American Philatelist about confederate forgeries.

www.stamps.org/AP/Collecting0111.pdf

Also Dr John Kimbrough's site has always been helpful for me

http://www.jlkstamps.com/fakes/fakecsa.htm#fantasy
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
876 Posts
Posted 10/10/2011   01:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222, Being so close to the U.S. I've included these Canadian Booklets. The Genuine compared to the Forged.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30865 Posts
Posted 10/10/2011   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...Sperati shakes his head and mutters,
"forgers arn't what they used to be" "Is there no pride any more?"

Thanks James (thumbs up)
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 10/10/2011   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look->
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 10/10/2011   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm certainly not an expert on CSA stamps, but I think your block is a facsimile/forgery, I_Love_Stamps.

Rod, I believe yours is authentic.

Here's a link to more information about CSA #8.

http://www.jlkstamps.com/facts/csa8.htm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 2,967Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05