Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ethiopia 1929 Air Post Handstamped Set: Three Types

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,575Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
1440 Posts
Posted 10/18/2011   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jkjblue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why should kinder-gardeners have all the fun with "show & tell"?

I was putting some of the Ethiopia collection into the album today, and noted that the handstamped overprints come in three major varieties (according to Scott) for the 1929 Air Post issue. I have examples of the three overprint types, so thought I would share.

This issue is interesting, as it commemorates the arrival at Addis Ababa of the 1st plane of the Ethiopian government. The regular issue of 1928 was handstamped in violet, red, black or green. The overprinted Anharic script translates as "17 August 1929-Air Plane of the Ethiopian government".

Handstamped on the 1928 issue 1/8m orange & light blue "Prince Tafari". Tafari Makonnen took the name "Haile Selassie I" when he was pronounced Emperor in 1930.

This overprint is 19.5 mm tall, the top row of Anharic script is all in a line, the bottom row of Anharic script ends with a ":" (colon).

4m yellow & olive "Empress Zauditu"

The overprint is 20mm tall, the top row of Anharic script is not in a line- the last letter bumps up, and the bottom row ends with a ":" (colon).

Why did Ethiopia need a King if there already was an Empress? Good question. She ruled from 1917 until she died in 1930, and did have the "last word". But her Regent and Ras Tafari carried out the daily administration, and was de facto, the ruler. She had to acknowledge reality, and made him King in 1928. After she died, he became "King of Kings", Emperor Haile Selassie I.

1929 Scott C10 37 chocolate & green "Empress Zauditu"

The last of the major types according to Scott shows an overprint 19.5 mm tall, top row in a line, but the bottom row ends with an absent ":" (colon). (If one can end with something absent )

Then, to add spice to the issue, Scott states that many errors exist.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1440 Posts
Posted 10/20/2011   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I guess there is not a lot of interest in Ethiopia.

1929 Air Post C4 1m dark carmine & black

Here's a puzzler. Doesn't appear to have a ":" (colon) ending at the end of the lower row, yet the handstamp measures 20 mm tall; so apparently fits none of Scott's categories.

The same stamp, without ":" (colon), 19.5 mm tall, and in a different handstamp color.

Anybody else have these fascinating overprints?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
53 Posts
Posted 06/19/2020   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add elmerfudd22 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
interesting group for study with a variety of colors and sizes of overprints. i've purchased four or five large ethiopia collections and have three complete sets with the purple and red plus one set with a variety of colors with and without the colons.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4774 Posts
Posted 06/19/2020   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2665 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Heights of the various ovpts:

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,575Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05