Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France Cancellations - Show And Tell

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 29,983Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/01/2011   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add AnthonyUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After looking the great posts on the Austro-Hungarian postmark thread, how about one for the many varied cancels from France.
The excellent Marcophilie (French) site is a great place to start for those wanting to know more.

I'll start with a few.

Losange petit chiffre (small numbers) 1896 Marseille

Paris star bureau 2 Rue St. Lazare

An unidentified Losange with a London PAID received in red

An 'Estrangero Barcelona' used for delivery on the ship routes via Barcelona.

A Gros Chiffre in red which is uncommon - likely 532 Bordeaux

List of GC in red

Send note to Staff
Edited by AnthonyUK - 11/01/2011 5:05 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 11/01/2011   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting cancels. I'll have to hit the scanner...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33586 Posts
Posted 11/01/2011   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

New Years Cancels.
Example number 47

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/01/2011   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to post this as a cover for November 2nd, but thought I'd post it here, too. Can anyone translate the slogan cancel? It loosely translated (per Google) to something like "Place Stamp on Back of Envelope" (?)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6270 Posts
Posted 11/01/2011   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 11/01/2011   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
en haut & droite de l'enveloppe means upper right [corner] of the envelope

[edit: By the way, Theodora Larocque might be an interesting person. Assuming your addressee is the Theodora Larocque, she wrote at least one book, acted in at least one Broadway play, and was married to General Patton's aide de camp, Charles Codman (an even more interesting person). Their son married a princess from the House of Murat. If it is her.]
Edited by Cjd - 11/01/2011 10:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 11/01/2011   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Place the stamp in the upper left-hand corner."
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 11/01/2011   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
upper left = en haut gauche, no?
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Assuming your addressee is the Theodora Larocque

It is. I have a hundred or so covers between her and Charles Codman both before and after their marriage, including some addressed to interesting personalities of high society and covers from clubs and/or hotels that were reserved for the upper class society of that day.

I've done some research on it, quite an interesting family.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33586 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

New Years Cancels.
Example 116

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   05:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some newspapers had a stamp on the paper before printing so became overprinted with the news.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since there seems to be quite a bit of interest in French cancels, I submit these six examples:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33586 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

For new readers, wt1's cancel "MB" = mobile box
further reading here.....

http://goscf.com/t/12086

Valued Member
United States
427 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add butterfly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One for Puzzler. Afraid I'm clueless about when or why the hex cancels were used.

Valued Member
United States
427 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add butterfly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found some more for Puzzler. Hexes with dots. Sorry to say I didn't notice these before.

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Found some more for Puzzler

Thank you!

Here is a link to the Marcophilie (cancel collecting) French site (in French):
http://marcophilie.org/

Click on 'Aide à l'identification par la forme' (second from last) to see cancels arranged by shape (or forme).

I believe that different shapes were used at different times to denote different types of post offices or different types of conveyance or transportation, such as maritime (packet boats)(paquebot), railways (convoyeur lignes), pneumatic underground mail, airmail, etc. There are also different cancels for telegraph usage (some hexagons here also).

On some hexagon cancels, the railway types, (our RPOs or Britain's TPOs), you would see the 'A' between place names, such as Here A There, where on North American RPOs you have Here & There.

Please excuse my not using the correct accents and grauve? marks over appropriate letters.
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 29,983Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05