Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France Cancellations - Show And Tell

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 29,454Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread very helpful!
I'll add what I learned so far(not much but a start)

Railroad-

Telegraph-

Military in hazaire? Best I can find 1881/ Tunis 001430 so far

New Years 105-
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Just_fella - 03/10/2021 09:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
Posted 03/09/2021   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2059 MONTALIEU-VERCIEU(37)
Lozenge cancellation on a Scott's #25 perf-trimmed

Last one
3398 (tours) on a piece of filler :)

Edited by Just_fella - 03/09/2021 11:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
Posted 03/10/2021   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
morning
after burning threw what the links provided, google and searches in the site 1814-1920
I'm failing to find a couple cancellations?
could just be forgery work or something..typ-17 1869 double ring (12) on bottom name on top ends in E on a 1863-70 #30 A4 2c napoleon III (maybe saune)
a vichy looks like machine cancellation single ring 17 vIII 25 16 20in the middle looks like maybe newspaper adds on the side
and a couple more
thanks for putting up with me :)

Edited by Just_fella - 03/10/2021 11:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
Posted 03/12/2021   07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
15 c (not 100%) but best I could do(I think my fist guess was wrong)
Getting somewhere:) but I think the U is a A?
(NAZAIRE not hazaire )
Edited by Just_fella - 03/12/2021 07:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
1802 Posts
Posted 03/12/2021   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chateaubriant a St Nazaire
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
Posted 03/12/2021   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you vayolene!
So a railroad because the A(to)? (wow not very good at this)
I was off on my first couple guessed
from what I can tell it was a busy place around that time dealing with the strike in 94 were it got the nickname the "red city", the plague in 97 then the separation in 1900
if I'm reading right
Edited by Just_fella - 03/12/2021 09:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
1802 Posts
Posted 03/12/2021   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Slogan cancel on your Merson :
"Come to Vichy,queen of the spa-towns,May-October"
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
Posted 03/12/2021   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vayolene your my hero this morning!
Thank you so much!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   01:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Slowly getting better....gold seal
Origin rural

Type 22
Port?..office 28

Couple more pearled

Newspaper

Colonies Military use(I think,similar 9ish thing :) could be wrong

Government use?(enforcment,licences)

Edited by Just_fella - 06/20/2021 02:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
1802 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   04:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The imperf. one looks like a cut-out from a wrapper
Pillar Of The Community
France
1802 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Prefecture" does not mean government use
It's most likely part of the name of the post office : Nantes-Prefecture,Lyon-Prefecture...

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
965 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry this is why I put "government use"

A prefect (French: préfet) in France is the state's representative in a department or region. Subprefects (French: sous-préfets) are responsible for the subdivisions of departments, arrondissements. The office of a prefect is known as a prefecture and that of a sub-prefect as a subprefecture. Prefects are appointed by a decree of the President of the Republic in the Council of Ministers, following the proposal of the Prime Minister and the Minister of the Interior.[1] They serve at the Government's discretion and can be replaced at any meeting of the Council.

From 1982 to 1988 prefects were called commissaires de la République (the Republic's commissioners) and the sub-prefects commissaires adjoints de la République.

My understanding- government use (serve at the government's discretion got me) (post office fits in there :)

As for the 1f you could be right, far as I can tell the only way to tell the difference is the cancellation
I believe it was on france&colonies I read about the military franking
There is a similar 9ish mark (but could be something else) and the two types of ink seemed strange
I will have to find that link again :) can't find the link yet, but found a image of the "9"
Again I could be wrong! But I thought worth a try :)

Edited by Just_fella - 06/21/2021 08:20 am
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 29,454Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05