Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France Cancellations - Show And Tell

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 29,817Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4602 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread here.

Thanks also to those who added the different links as well. They are really full of useful information for the serious French postal history collector.

Even though I do not collect France or the postal history of it per se, I know I have French stamps with some of these old cancellations on them.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an image I saved off of Delcampe with air usage in 1936 to Argentina. The price went too high for me.

Valued Member
United States
427 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add butterfly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So the dotted hexes were for rural locations?
Thank you for the link.
Time to relearn some French!

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know a lot about them, I just collect what looks good to me.

I think many others here know. That link is fascinating indeed. I could spend hours on there.
Pillar Of The Community
1508 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fifia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the smallest cancellation in my collection!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
fifia, your cancel is actually a precancel. Yvert lists two types, but I always have to look them up...
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The more recent French pre-cancels have Affranch ts on them which is short for affranchissement.

An earlier version

Pillar Of The Community
1508 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fifia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple more cancellations.
One from 1985 and in 1902.

Edited by fifia - 11/02/2011 5:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5105 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes this an interesting thread even though I'm not really
into French stamps.

I do have this cover though from 1863 with 3 different postmarks.

I'm not sure about the number. Is it 30 ?

Except for Paris and the date, I can't make out the rest.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last one may be a TPO for a Paris to Givet train trip.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The place name looks like
PETITE-RUE-DU PAC
to me but Google doesn't bring that up. Maybe too old, renamed, changed, built over?
Edited by Puzzler - 11/02/2011 7:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing Rue du Bac.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I concur on Rue du Bac.
You can just see the starting of the lower arm on the B.

On French Wikipedia, under Rue Dupin, I found, and Google translated (with errors) to:

Quote:
History

Cette voie existait en 1625. This way there in 1625. Précédemment nommée petite rue du Bac ; antérieurement, rue du Petit Bac et plus anciennement, rue du Baril Neuf. Formerly known as small rue du Bac, previously, rue du Petit Bac and oldest, rue du Baril Nine.

Quote:
Dupin Street is a street located in the 6th arrondissement of Paris .
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5105 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cjd and Puzzler for that fine detective work.

Perhaps I should call you guys Inspector Clouseau and Commissaire
Maigret.

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/02/2011   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here we are on the way to the next stamp bourse in Paris:

There is a book with the Post Office on Dupin Street in the title (not sure if it about the actual Post Office though?):
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 147 / Views: 29,817Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05