Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Little Something To Help The Post Office

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 8,559Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3012 Posts
Posted 11/06/2011   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add apastuszak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As a stamp collector, I really want the USPS to hang around.

So, I found something that might help the post office AND possibly annoy people that annoy you.

I take all the junk mail I get (mostly credit card offers), open it up and mai back the business reply envelope with nothing in it. That way, the company sending the offers is forced to pay for the return postage, and the post office makes first class postage for each envelope mailed back. I have 12 of them stacked up to go out right now.

It doesn't cost you anything but time, and I think it's a win-win.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1707 Posts
Posted 11/06/2011   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I might just have to start doing that!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
860 Posts
Posted 11/06/2011   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raywrio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great mind's think alike. I started doing that about 2 weeks ago. Sometimes I get three pieces of credit card mail from the same place, so that's 3 pieces sent right back.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1138 Posts
Posted 11/06/2011   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure that you name doesn't appear on anything, i.e., computer code in corner. Don't know what the companies would do, but if you see an unmarked dark colored chevy van parked at the end of your driveway.......
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
1806 Posts
Posted 11/06/2011   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1775mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember years ago some people would tape them to a weight or package like a brick when they would still get charged postage due.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3012 Posts
Posted 11/06/2011   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My brother-in-law shreds the inside in a paper shredder and stuffs it all back in (as much as he can, and then mails it back. If it's a bank he hates he ou something heave inside to crank up the postage. At one point, he mailed the lids to some tin cans back, edges tapes to avoid injuring anyone.
Valued Member
143 Posts
Posted 11/06/2011   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add plsllvn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like it- funny stuff.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/06/2011   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an entire web site about this very idea (as well as some creative alternatives)!

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/bulkmailer/

By the way, has anyone taken notice that built into the 2012 postage rate increase is a provision that mass mailers may mail up to the second ounce free. The idea is that bank statements and credit card companies can add globs of junk mail to your monthly statements AT NO EXTRA COST TO THEM!
Edited by wt1 - 11/06/2011 4:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 08/27/2013   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 68W to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a fantastic idea! I will have to start doing that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
765 Posts
Posted 08/27/2013   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guykickinit to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My wife is all on-board for this one! We'll send a different companies offer back. So, a bank may get an offer from say fingerhut!!

Stuff 'em full! plus we wont have to recycle as much paper, or increase the influx of trash to the landfills. It's all very "GREEN" of course. Really quite noble actually. We're saving the planet and the PO.
Member COPC.
Redmond, OR 97756 Mailer's Postmark Permit #1
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
Posted 08/29/2013   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffyl00b to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, recently I started getting pre-approved offers for really nice credit cards for all sorts of names of people I never heard of before. I've lived here quite a while, already know the name of the previous tenant, but these folks were absolutely random.
Believing something "wrong" afoot, combined with understanding the labor and mailroom costs these companies spend on a per letter basis, I sent them all back to sender. It wasn't current resident mail, and, as far as I know, I'm supposed to. Until this week, I was sending back a good deal. Surely helped save a lot of jobs, and hopefully if it was an Identity theft or fraud issue, that fixed it too.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 08/29/2013   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yakboomer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder why I did not think of this? I like it!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 08/29/2013   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think there was another thread about this sort of thing a couple of years ago. I remember then I posted the story of a college teacher of mine who would tape a brick to those things and drop them in the mail box. As he said, the post office HAS to deliver it.
Learn More...
9903 Posts
Posted 08/30/2013   07:45 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am confused on how this might be considered a 'good' thing.

It does not seem to me to be green in any way. It would drive the consumption of additional non-productive resources (i.e. energy/fuel/time/money) and putting paper waste in a landfill occurs in either one place or another.

As to the causing additional cost to the sending company, who actually pays for this cost? Companies roll the cost of doing business into what they charge for their products/services. Other consumers end up paying for this action, not the company.

Perhaps a better way to help USPS is to promote our hobby and bring new hobbyists to the PO window.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 09/13/2013   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess if we just shut down the post office we can make all GREEN people very happy. Look at the carbon you would get rid of.

I have been doing this for as long as I remember, it is just fun but it has never stopped the junk mail. However if it wasn't for junk mail and bills I would get no mail. Let the truck rolls and keep the mail coming.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 09/15/2013   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add clintd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been doing this for years.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 8,559Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05