Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Definitives From Around The World

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From Wikipedia 'Western use of the swastika in the early 20th century'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wester...20th_century

Quote:
The swastika (from Sanskrit svástika) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right-facing (卐) form or its mirrored left-facing (卍) form. Archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates from the Neolithic period and was first found in the Indus Valley Civilization of the Indian subcontinent. The swastika (gammadion, "fylfot") symbol became a popular symbol of luck in the Western world in the early 20th century. Although the Nazi Party adopted the symbol in the 1920s, it continued in use in Western countries with its original meaning until the Nazi association became dominant in the 1930s. The term swastika is first attested in English in 1871, and first refers to the Nazi emblem in 1932.

It meant Good luck to early aviators. The Finnish defense force used it as it's symbol from 1918 to 1945.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Australia
426 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterethio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a wartime card (WWI) sent from the trenches in France (by an Aussie) back to loved ones in Australia which has a swastika on it and the words, "Good Luck." How ironic!
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6186 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   03:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Machin Head.

The Machin is one of the most well-known definitve series and was designed after a Plaster cast by Sculptor Arnold Machin.

Hundreds, if not thousands of varieties of Colours,Phosphor,Gum,Printer,Perforation,Paper, value etc make it a complete study by itself.

The item above is a Souvenir Sheet issued to coincide with London 2010, A Festival of Stamps.

The first Machin head appeared on June 5th,1967 a pre-decimal issue.

Londonbus1
Edited by Londonbus1 - 11/15/2011 03:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6186 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Israel's 50th Jubilee Anniversary Definitve by K.Gardosh, 1998.

Commonly known in Israel as 'Srulik', a Non-Denominational Definitive issued in both Sheet and Booklet form.
The item above is from an uncut Tete-Beche Gutter sheet made for the regular booklets.

Other single issue Flag Definitives have followed, the most recent in November 2010.

Londonbus1
Edited by Londonbus1 - 11/15/2011 03:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1230 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favorite collecting areas is modern U.S. definitives. I really enjoy looking for the (seems like) never-ending varieties of each issue. Here are my pages for the U.S. 39c Flag and Statue of Liberty issue.

Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:

Cheers, Robert

Edit: Re-uploaded images.
Edited by Trainwreck - 01/03/2018 7:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5709 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few more classic-era definitives...

Southern Rhodesia 4d:

Even occupations need definitives...here is one of the many permutations of the one-shilling Togo, overprinted on definitives of Gold Coast:

Pillar Of The Community
USA
9743 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent posts...Wow Londonbus really stated the obvious with the machins...i collect Canada used and do not have the complete set of beneficial insects..and trainwrecks varieties of the U.S flag stamp..i just do not see that many of them on mail !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1439 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Question-How in the heck did a swastika symbol end up on a Finnish stamp?

Quote:
From Wikipedia 'Western use of the swastika in the early 20th century'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wester...20th_century

Thanks to Puzzler and peterethio.

I learned something.

Pillar Of The Community
1508 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fifia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jamesw,

Quote:
And when young George VI ascended, his definitives didn't look a whole lot different. The royal apple didn't fall far from the tree.1938-51

....but the young king looks the other way.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6377 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, fifia, my understanding is that GV was not the most pleasant of Dads.
I once read a quote where he said, " My father was frightened of his mother, I was frightened of my father and I am damned well going to see that my children are frightened of me."
I think I might have looked the other way too.
Pillar Of The Community
1508 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fifia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to understand 'Definitives'

Here is a French example

and a symbol used internationally?

Valued Member
United States
427 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add butterfly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The colors of these "PREXIES" came out a bit off because of the low resolution needed to scan the whole page, but here they are anyway.

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6186 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Objection !

That last lot was an Omnibus [Commemorative] series.

Nice though !

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4698 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fifia, the Europa and Cept issues are not definitives neither
are the Commonwealth omnibus issues.

Also excluded would be special issues such as Christmas etc since
they commemorate an event.

Edit:Looks like LB beat me to it.

Would the Israel's 50th Jubilee Anniversary really be
a definitive when it commemorates an anniversary ?

Edited by lithograving - 11/15/2011 4:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6377 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Prexxies, Butterfly. I've almost completed that series (used) just the $2 and $5 to go.
I've recently completed my Canadian Admiral series, also used. I think I'm making it a point to fill in holes and complete series such as these. I often ignore the definitives.
Thank you Litho, for making me see the error of my ways.
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 4.57 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05