Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Definitives From Around The World

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
664 Posts
Posted 11/18/2014   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is some sort of souvenir card handed down by my grandfather. It includes the six regional 3d definitives of Great Britain, issued in 1958.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
664 Posts
Posted 11/18/2014   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...and a couple of samples from my fledgeling Persia collection - definitives (nowhere near complete sets!) of 1942 and 1956 respectively.

Valued Member
United States
48 Posts
Posted 11/18/2014   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatelia7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen that set grouped together like that. It is quite attractive! Thanks for sharing
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1109 Posts
Posted 11/18/2014   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the postmark on the souvenir card. Torquey is the setting for the British Sitcom "Fawlty Towers" which starred John Cleese!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
664 Posts
Posted 11/18/2014   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the other Persia...

Yes - Torquay of Fawlty Towers fame! Also a resort where companies and political parties etc regularly hold meetings and conferences - which I guess is how this card got to be cancelled there - at that year's Philatelic Congress.
Edited by Ringo - 11/18/2014 2:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1109 Posts
Posted 11/20/2014   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As part of this discussion, I am curious to hear from folks who include semi-postals as part of their definitive collections. I personally don't care for semi-postals and don't collect them. Thoughts?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1178 Posts
Posted 11/20/2014   07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I include semi-postals (and other BOB issues) if the stamp originated as a definitive. For example, an overprint of a definitive postage stamp to create a semi-postal issue. I have never researched this, but it would be interesting to see if there are any purely semi-postal definitive stamp series.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
572 Posts
Posted 11/20/2014   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect semi-postals, but Trainwreck's position of including a surcharged definitive seems valid. I do the same thing with the occasional definitive that is surcharged or that is converted into a commemorative by adding special dates. An example of the latter is the Belgian King Baudouin 3.50 francs definitive, Sc. 751, which commemorates the king's 40th birthday by adding the year dates 1930-1970. Scott includes it in the definitive series listing.

Don
Edited by DonSellos - 11/20/2014 09:02 am
Valued Member
Spain
149 Posts
Posted 11/20/2014   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dvaldemoro to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I make the collection based on the design of the stamp. I included all the stamps with the same design (only if possible because There are stamps very dificult of obtain it).

If the stamp have overload or was used in the colonies of these country is included for me.

On the definitive stamps of USA, for example, I like even put any stamp with perfins or precancel.
Edited by dvaldemoro - 11/20/2014 09:19 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1109 Posts
Posted 12/07/2014   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two recent definitive set additions to my collection:

Tough Greeland set

Cape Verde

Edited by shermae - 12/07/2014 9:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1109 Posts
Posted 12/19/2014   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to see additional posts in this thread. I'm a bit tapped out on new purchases to share but would enjoy seeing other's definitives. Not sure if there entries relating to Mexico Exportas, and it's definitely a fascinating and complex topic. Who else is into these definitives, and how specialized do you try to get with them.

Germany is also very interesting, if for no other reason than the sheer volume of issues. Very daunting.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4621 Posts
Posted 12/20/2014   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There has been quite a few nice sets added since last time
I looked in this threda.

dvaldemoro, your presentations are a pleasure to look
at, just great.

A couple of pages ago you posted the Abbeys and Cloisters set
issued by Austria between 1984 - 1992.

Here is the second set which is called Treasures from the
Abbeys and Cloisters which was issued between 1993 - 1995

Designed and engraved by Werner Pfeiler

1 colour engraving and 2 colours photogravure,
printed by the Austrian State Printer, Vienna.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4621 Posts
Posted 12/20/2014   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another nice Austrian definitive set depicting
Legends, issued between 1997 - 2000.
Werner Pfeiler again both designed and engraved
all the stamps and the production details are
the same as above.
This was the last Schilling definitive series.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4621 Posts
Posted 12/29/2014   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a short definitive series from West Germany issued
between 1966/67 portraying the Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor)

Just a simple design showing a well known structure.

Scott Germany 952 - 956 Michel Germany BRD 506 - 510

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4621 Posts
Posted 12/29/2014   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the series for West Berlin, same as before except for
the name BERLIN added.
See West Berlin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Berlin

Scott German Occupation Stamps 9N251 - 9N255, Michel Germany Berlin 286 - 290

Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 5.05 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05