Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Definitives From Around The World

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4698 Posts
Posted 12/29/2014   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These two examples show how in a longer running definitive
series some colour variations can occur.

By the way, all these Brandenburg Gate stamps were printed
via typography/letterpress* by the Bundesdruckerei in Berlin.

* Buchdruck in German

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4698 Posts
Posted 12/29/2014   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a nice definitive set* from Czechoslovakia portraying
the Arms of Regional capitals.
They were issued between 1968 and 1975.
Printed by combination recess engraving and photogravure.

Arms of the Capitol , Prague.

* One value (Scott 2000) is missing
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 12/30/2014   02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great new posts. I really like the German area definitives, but there are SO MANY! The set just above, from Czechoslovakia is a great example of a set that is very challenging to define. In terms of the number of different stamps, the likeness of the designs, and the lack of a specific commemoration, this set fits the definition of a definitive.

On the other hand, there are only 3 different denominations in the set above. And given that the set was issued over a period of 7-8 years, the 3 different denominations could have only covered a fraction of the multitude of postal rates that existed during that long period of time.

So, how do you all feel? Is this a definitive set? A pictorial set? Commemorative set?

I'll be the first to weigh in. Although very collectible and a set that would fit right in with my definitives collection, I personally would not define this set as a definitive. Since the set does not cover a full range of postal rates, it doesn't quite meet the definition of a "workhorse" set of stamps that typifies definitives. Additionally, a set of 7 stamps depicting caricatures of 20th century personalities issued just one month later covers 7 different denominations, yet is clearly not a definitive set.

All that said, it's a great set that I will likely add to my collection at some point.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4698 Posts
Posted 12/30/2014   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
shermae, now that I look at them again, I have to agree with you
somewhat.

It is true as you say that this set does not have a wide range of denominations to satisfy
all the postal rates for those years it was issued.

But maybe the 60h was the basic letter rate at that time
or perhaps it was the post card rate which was very popular
before we had cell phones and texting.

But that alone shouldn't disqualify them.
You can have a definitive set with only 3 denomination or
5 or even just one

Therefore I'm still not certain as to what category this set fits into.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1933 Posts
Posted 12/30/2014   5:24 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some more German area definitives

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 12/30/2014   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great sets Artful. Funny how the simpler they are, the more attractive they seem. On the subject of Saar, I've been having a particular challenge with one of their overprinted definitives. In 1947, the current definitive set was overprinted with a new/different currency (Scott 175-87). I recognize that there are varieties of this issue as prices I've seen are extremely variable, but I don't have a specialized catalogue for Saar. Is the main variation a white paper printing vs. "non-white?"

The basic set does not seem expensive- about $5-$7. The odd thing is that the set, despite a low catalogue value, is VERY hard to find in the USA. There is an eBay seller who has at least a dozen sets MNH for under $7, but he will not ship to the USA. Why is this set seemingly scarce in the USA?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1933 Posts
Posted 12/30/2014   7:02 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ralph Schneider has a pretty complete stock of the entire German area:

Saar 175-87 NH set: http://rschneiderstamps.com/product...7-michel-vf/

Hinged: http://rschneiderstamps.com/product...michel-vf-2/

Used: http://rschneiderstamps.com/product...michel-u-vf/

You can also request singles if you only need a few of them. He's very fast - ships orders within 24 hours. He's also got zillions of other German area sets from all areas, both cheap and expensive. I recently purchased several different definitive sets from him from Saar, Bavaria, Wurttemberg, etc, which I'll also post here when I get the inkling. If you want sets of German-area definitives, he's your man.
Edited by TheArtfulHinger - 12/30/2014 7:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 12/30/2014   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks!! I had heard of him before but didn't find him when googling around looking for the set.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 12/30/2014   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have not been able to locate a complete MNH set of the 1936-51 Belgium definitives (Scott 294-308) so I am working to put one together. Below are a few scans of some recent acquisitions. I am very lucky to have found such a nice and reasonably priced copy of the 2.45F, the key to the set.

Wow, I had a very hard time getting the images up for this post. The first image compressed just fine on the Free Image Optimizer, but the second was consistently misreported as to size. When I had it at 100K, it was actually 149K so it took awhile to get it to a true 100K (which the optimizer reported as 64K). Ten minutes of my life I'll never have back!

Edited by shermae - 12/30/2014 8:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4698 Posts
Posted 01/03/2015   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Czechoslovakian definitive set issued 1965/66
portraying various towns.

Scott 1345 - 1353

Notice the colour variations on the 20h and 50h.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 01/04/2015   02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful and bright 1997-2001 Norway posthorn stamps, pairs of 10 ore and 1 kr, shown on paper.

I wish Canada Post (and others) would take note and brighten up their definitive offerings also please.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 01/04/2015   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Really love the Norway posthorns, in use as stamp designs since Scott 18 in 1872! (Scott 16 is the first listed posthorn, but it was issued in 1875). The modern issues, such as those above, are fun because they have been reprinted a number of times and it's possible to detect shades and other varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 01/04/2015   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two of my favorite definitive sets - from Brunei. This first one was in use from 1907 to 1951 and had a huge number of printings providing much fun looking for perfs, shades, etc. The image is of the set issued in 1947.

This second definitive also had many printings as it was in use from 1951 until 1974. Lots of paper variations as well as shades, many not listed by Scott.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4698 Posts
Posted 01/05/2015   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
shermae, those Brunei definitives are lovely engraved stamps.
Any chance to see one close up of each design ?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4698 Posts
Posted 01/05/2015   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another Czechoslovak definitive set, this one from 1971/72,
portraying various buildings.
This series compared to the 1965/66 one was printed by a new (1968) press
the WIFAG II capable of 1 colour recess intaglio and up to 3 inks of photogravure.

Czechoslovakia Scott 1733 - 1741A

When I scanned these below I was short 2 values but found the 5.40k
later. Now I'm still missing the 14k, Scott 1741

Scott 1738

Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05