Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Definitives From Around The World

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9743 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James, sorry for the intrusion..i believe I have a nice clean postally used 2 dollar prexie available for a swap !!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9743 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Before I saw the prexies I was going to post that I can easily see this thread going 100 posts or more !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you Litho, for making me see the error of my ways.

What error, James?

I also like those Prexis and have some but nowhere near completion.
The Prominent Americans, the Liberty Series, the Great Americans
and especially the Transportation Series are some of the best
definitives ever issued.

Below is the 1974 - 1981 Queen Margrethe II series.

Designer : Knud Nellemose

Engraver : Czeslaw Slania

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6186 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would the Israel's 50th Jubilee Anniversary really be
a definitive when it commemorates an anniversary ?

Yes it is. In much the same way that, for example, GB issued a Millenium Definitive which formed part of the Machin series.
Israel have only ever issued definitives in large sheet format and never issued a commemorative as an NVI.
Israel has down the years seen many Definitive series, some lasting longer than others. In more recent times, the National Flag has formed part of the design.
The stamp shown [up there somewhere] was issued in the Jubilee year but does not show this on the design itself.
If one thinks about it, there are many definitive stamps and series that do not look like definitives. Some examples shown in earlier posts are proof of this.
All Definitive stamps [in Israel at least] have a title.

Londonbus1....good question !
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Denmark came out with a new Queen Margrethe II series in
1982 which lasted until 1990.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple of Danish booklets.

Pillar Of The Community
1985 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen this lady on this thread yet. The third oldest definitive in the world:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6186 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Danish material Litho !

I wonder what you would make of this.
A borderline case ?
A Definitive?
Or definitely not ?

Another great thread.

Londonbus1....Commemorating the Definitives !
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LB that's a tough one because what you have there is a souvenir sheet commemorating
definitives.

I would say the SS as a whole is a commemorative but the individual
stamps are definitive.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6411 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Litho, my error is that I've been focusing on commemoratives to the detriment of my definitives. I am now trying to change my ways (though not too drastically )

Phil, never an intrusion when a trade is in the offing.
If you can send me a scan of Mr. Harding, and an idea of what you're looking for, we'll see if I can accommodate.

Isn't this fun? Cue the dancing pepper!
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6186 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can live with that.
However, Royal Mail class them as Commemoratives. And you will not see these stamps listed anywhere under definitives.
But, you will not see the Original Wildings HV's listed anywhere as Commemoratives !

Now it's really confusing !

In the meantime, my only Danish Booklet.

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Commemorative or Definitive, either way that Castle SS is a beauty.

LB, were the stamps printed from the original dies or were
new plates made?
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6186 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
were the stamps printed from the original dies or were
new plates made?

I cannot remember to be honest.
They were printed by Enschede of Holland so maybe new plates were used.
I will check the relevant Bulletin tomorrow if no one has answered the question before then.

In the meantime, at Half-Past Midnight, I'd better get some definitive sleep !

Goodnight all.

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Austria issued this regional folks costume definitive series in 1934.

Missing is the 2 Schilling high value and included are the backwards
and corrected ears versions of the 6 groschen value.

The set was designed by Georg Jung (18991957) who also
worked on banknotes.

Scott 354 - 370

Print process was typography which I believe suits the folksy
look of this issue.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 11/15/2011   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the two different ear versions of

------------Scott 358------------------------------------------------Scott 372

Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05