Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

GB : Official Perfins Identified Here.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 229 / Views: 65,890Next Topic
Page: of 16
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29913 Posts
Posted 03/30/2016   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As I understand it HUTH PERFIN was amongst the first Perfins ever made,
Sloper records were destroyed during bombing of London WW2

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
213 Posts
Posted 03/30/2016   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Northener0 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the history lesson rod222. Very interesting.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29913 Posts
Posted 03/30/2016   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EWCB
Opinion : forget the diagonal line, suggest maybe EWGB
No perfins listed in 1965 of this format, closest = EWC&Co

PS Jr & Co
None listed in 1965 of this format, (Jr is more often seen as an American naming convention)

There are only 2 perfins known in 1965 with "Jr" in puncture format for Great Britain.

Corrections welcomed.

Edited by rod222 - 03/30/2016 6:09 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29913 Posts
Posted 03/30/2016   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Your HUTH perfin, may have well passed through these hallowed doors...........

Token House Yard London.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 04/08/2016   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Perfins are cool! I have a few that would be interesting
to see where they came from, especially the Maltese Cross.
Thanks to all!

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1693 Posts
Posted 04/08/2016   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am compiling a database for my own use and can possibly identify some of your perfins... all subject to confirmation by Nigel as he has access to some other sources.
The ones I can identify so far (only a few to start with... more possible later if on my database)
BBK - Barclays Bank Ltd
MB - Midlands Bank
PAC - always worth a mention - The Prudential Assurance Company
EE/C - The English Electric Company
BB/E - nice one to have - Bank Belg pour L'Etranger (London)
GWR _ Great Western Railway company
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2988 Posts
Posted 04/08/2016   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ciletaliph,

I really like the cross perfin.

This is from Ridgways Ltd, tea dealers of Old Street, London EC!.

The business still exists - here's one of their web pages:

http://www.ridgwaystea.co.uk/about-us.html
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 04/09/2016   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great info guys!
I find it interesting that a
tea co. would choose a cross for their perfin.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1693 Posts
Posted 04/09/2016   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The SLO perfin is normally associated with The Sun Life Assurance Society. I have one confirmed SLO Sun Life perfin with a pin count of 9,6,8 originating in Kilburn, London.
With that company there were many branch offices and probably several dies most likely with differing pin counts over the years.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 04/14/2016   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here we have two users of APC or AP/C perfin.
Automotive Products Co. and Lockheed Hydraulic Brake Co.
Note:Same post office cancel on both,
bottom pin hole of P is closed on all stamps.

Valued Member
Mauritius
14 Posts
Posted 05/30/2016   06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Little_Missy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mine

Edited by Little_Missy - 05/30/2016 06:07 am
United States
1 Posts
Posted 01/23/2017   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zirinbaku to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two examples of the GTC (9.6.7) perfin as found on UK#200 (Scott #'s for the moment. My new copy of Stanley Gibbons UK is still on its way). I have a strip of two with the usual example and a strip of three in which the 7th punch on the letter "C" is missing. Is this one or its variety listed in the UK Perfin catalog? If so, can you tell me who it is? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29913 Posts
Posted 04/15/2017   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Unknown Perfins and Graphite Lines ?

WH
AJNSL

Thanks for any help
(Scott numbers)

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29913 Posts
Posted 04/15/2017   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Vertical Graphite lines solved : Misplaced sorting lines.

http://www.stamp-collecting-world.c...s_1952d.html

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2988 Posts
Posted 04/16/2017   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

The WH perfin was an interesting one to investigate.

It is from William Hollins & Co. Ltd of Viyella Road, Nottingham who were spinners and hosiers.

They were the inventors of the Viyella fabric made from merino wool and cotton and were the original owners of the Viyella brand that continues to this day and is now owned by Austin Reed.

The ANJSL perfin is from the Junior Army and Navy Society Ltd.

Nigel
Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 229 / Views: 65,890Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 9.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05