Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

GB : Official Perfins Identified Here.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 04/16/2017   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello Nigel.

Quote:
The ANJSL perfin is from the Junior Army and Navy Society Ltd.

That was a canny way to illustrate the large "J" well done.
Thanks so much, you are a Whizz for the perfins.

I'll research the Viyella.

Note: I mis-identified the Wilding QE2, I failed to watermark
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 04/16/2017   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Query:
I was wondering if the AJNSL

Rather than "Junior Army and Navy Society Ltd. "

may be

"Junior Army and Navy Stores Ltd" ?

Reason: JAN Stores, did not become a limited Society until the 1930's.

Edited by rod222 - 04/16/2017 7:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2857 Posts
Posted 04/16/2017   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

Good question. I was surprised to see this too.

Wikipedia says that what had been the "Army and Navy Cooperative Society Ltd" became a limited company under the name "Army and Navy Stores Ltd" in 1934.

I have't found any references to the Junior Army and Navy Society except in the perfin catalogue.
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 04/16/2017   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Nigel,
I think your original ID would be correct,
seems both names are one of the same.

I'll sit on the fence.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1685 Posts
Posted 04/17/2017   02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vertical Graphite lines solved : Misplaced sorting lines.

These stamps date from 1961 and come from paper left over from the graphite lined issues. As the experiment had ended, the remaining paper was used up and, as the lines had no further purpose, the register of lines in relation to stamps was unimportant.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 04/17/2017   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These stamps date from 1961 and come from paper left over from the graphite lined issues

Right.
Thanks very much Scot.
Once again, dangerous to "assume"

I'll add your advice to my Album Page.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1685 Posts
Posted 04/17/2017   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still off topic with the QE2 graphite lines... S.G. catalogs them as S.G.588a so are a variety in their own right. It would be a Scott#354c but they do not appear to list this variety I believe.

Edited by scotzm - 04/17/2017 12:14 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 04/17/2017   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
S.G. catalogs them as S.G.588a so are a variety in their own right.

Again, thanks, Scot.
Found them in my 2012 "Concise" Stanley Gibbons, with commentary.
(CV 80p)
Appreciate the heads up.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 05/04/2017   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Chasing a scarce Australian Label.
Seen on Ethiopian Stationery and Zanzibar.

Chasing 1 lead from UK.
Seek PERFIN details, if anyone has it, on C&E/M

C& E Morton (believe to be British)
Seek information on this company (long shot)
Thanks

Solved:
http://www.angelfire.com/pr/perfins...0307list.pdf

Edited by rod222 - 05/04/2017 04:02 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Seek Identification
All on Machins

NR/CC
IP/CN
CB

Thank you

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2857 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod

NR/CC = North Riding Of Yorkshire County Council

IP/CN is not in my old catalogue.

CB could be City of Birmingham or County Borough of Bromley or Conway Borough Council. All have pin counts of 7,11 and were used until around 1969.

Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Nigel, Thank you very much.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2857 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

The Perfin Society provide a list on their web site of all the perfins known so far that have been used on decimal Machin stamps:

http://www.angelfire.com/pr/perfins...lMachins.pdf

This doesn't identify the user of each perfin but it does list all the different Machin stamps that are known for each perfin.

For example, it list 20 different Machins that are known with the "IP/CN" perfin.

I was amazed to see that 919 different perfins are known used on decimal Machins with 12,886 perfin/Machin combinations found so far.

A huge amount of work has clearly gone into to creating this list.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2386 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect them, always looking for more. Unfortunately, each one has so little value that it is impossible to do any trading by mail. Overhead costs are too high. Same goes for buying one or two. I would love to find somebody who had a thousand, or 10 thousand for sale on approval. The list mentioned above is a very useful reference.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2386 Posts
Posted 05/20/2017   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the IP/CN on the 3.5p and 20p, but it seems nobody knows who the user was.
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.46 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05