Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps, Hinges, & Spit

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
Posted 12/11/2011   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add RonD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Maybe not the best of subject lines but as I've sat here, all day, hinging stamps I was thinking about how careful we are anymore on the type of paper we mount stamps on. Acid free and all. As I was licking those hinges I started thinking about the enzymes and such that are found in saliva. I wondered "Over time, would those enzymes and other chemicals found in saliva harm stamps?" I don't think that I have ever read anything on this idea. As I've looked at old stamps and the hinges that are on them I don't see any evidence on the face of the stamp of any damage. So, I thought that I would throw this question up here and see what happened.

Now, back to spitting on hinges.
Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 12/11/2011   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I would err on the side of caution and use q-tips and a damp sponge if I were to use hinges.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 12/11/2011   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't worry much about it. We don't have the enzymes in our saliva needed to break down the cellulose fibers of the paper. Furthermore, after drying, the proteins (including the enzymes) in our saliva become denatured and inactive.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6408 Posts
Posted 12/11/2011   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know the 'information sites' I've seen all say to use a q-tip and water. But I'm an old fashioned spit man! I hinge stamp the way my ancestors did!
Recently my daughter watched me lick a mount to put in the album and I got a resounding 'Ewwwwwwww!" Kids! What do they know.
Valued Member
New Zealand
61 Posts
Posted 12/11/2011   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joeytoat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it would depend on what you were doing before you started licking hinges I too use q tips/cotton buds here in NZ made by J&J & warm water Dip then stick,dip then stick.........
Pillar Of The Community
USA
939 Posts
Posted 12/12/2011   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cimarron_Warrior to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A wet sponge and my pinkie tip is what I use. I have also caught myself (while soaking stamps) wondering who has liked the stamps and what if anything did they have when they licked them. It can be a very interesting yet disgusting time of thought....LOL
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1105 Posts
Posted 12/12/2011   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The fact that we stamp collectors soak stamps off of paper, get our hands in the spit bath, as they say, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. That is why there are so many older coots (like myself) still here. I am sure I have built up an immunity to nearly every form of human virus there is (of course the Spam hasn't hurt either).:-)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6408 Posts
Posted 12/12/2011   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My ol' Dad used to say "You gotta eat a peck of dirt before you die". I'm sure all the 'spit water' amounts to one heck of a peck!
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9743 Posts
Posted 12/12/2011   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i am glad I grew up before people started spraying doorknob handles and whatever...we got sick, built up immunities and moved on..nowadays the baby doctors are driving Ferraris..at least in the Rhinebeck area !! Oh, or is the topic about the health of the stamp ??
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3724 Posts
Posted 12/12/2011   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have hinged thousands of stamps using my good ol tongue. They seem fine to me. I make sure I brush my teeth before I start and drink only the finest tap water while hinging

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
Posted 12/12/2011   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RonD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Truth be told, I think I am actually too lazy to find a Q-tip and get a container of water. Everyone I've ever known that collects stamps (well, OK, the two people I have known)always licked the hinges. And, I'm careful *not* to lick the stamp, just the hinge. I, too, have wondered about what traffic the stamp has seen. As I've pondered this these last two days I'm not sure that anyone back in the golden age of stamping (if there ever was one - and if there was what years would you say that covered??) ever moistened those hinges with anything other than licking it.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 12/12/2011   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like to stomp my stamps and then really lick them a lot and then hope some silly monkey in the future will find it all preserved in some tree sap. Heh heh.

Edited by Puzzler - 12/12/2011 6:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Some silly monkey..." might. Maybe we will be revived or, What else? Some spit polio? Old flu plague?
Anyway, I like this thread. That is crazy I guess. It makes me think of a si-fi novel.
There is something appealing aesthetically to a hinged stamp. I like looking at a stamp without the plastic.
Learn More...
7407 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   03:02 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is an entirely new spin on getting certs, verification via DNA…"this stamp was mounted by FDR".
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3869 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   05:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Brings an entirely new meaning to "The Gross Gallery".

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who noticed that those are mostly MNH)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4429 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   06:04 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Extracting DNA from stamps - albeit from mail, rather than from collections - is a thriving business. It failed in this case

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...nd-disappear
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05