Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Zealand Stamps : Sundry

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 151 / Views: 9,776Next Topic
Page: of 11
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
New addition to my New Zealand .

Nice Multiple, Looks like perhaps Die 2 ?
(line shaped like a comma, running into the hair, under "&")
Perf 12 x 11.5, or P11.
Dies engraved by Bock and Cousins. Typographed from electros by the Govt Printing Office.

Postmark.
I would suggest this may be a handstruck from Australia.
How and why, no idea.
I see no information to this Pmk in NZ anywhere.
I welcome any correction to the contrary.

Ship and steamer Post Offices
early examples show MARINE PO in single line circles
From 1873 LOOSE LETTERS.
Special Maritime Strike of 1913 SPECIAL CONSTABLES CAMP

LOOSE LETTER was first used to cancel late fee letters carried by ship.
Later, it was used on letters which made part of their journey prior to being handled by the Post Office.

This is how I would (guess) The mark was applied in Australian territory.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 09/23/2021 11:20 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/23/2021   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KERMADEC ISLANDS
Stamp Identified as a FORGERY

Edited by rod222 - 09/23/2021 11:11 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This would be #WP3
Wrapper, Type 2, wavy lined Boxed Instructions, ornaments at corner.
Half Penny on buff, type b, 3.75" x 11"
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/24/2021   02:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CROWN COLONIES AND PROTECTORATES
3 : GILBERT AND ELLICE ISLANDS

1926 Placed under New Zealand Control.
1976 Now KIRIBATI

GEIC : GILBERT & ELLIS ISLANDS COLONY

Capital : TARAWA
Guess c1944
Mutilated Stationery pieces
Official Envelope Registered.

Noted but no supporting Images.

Edited by rod222 - 09/24/2021 02:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6306 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll give a different opinion on floortrader's pair. On the right stamp, I believe I see a break in the hair (part of the "comma" shape identifying die3). I think Campbell Paterson's description of die 3 is a little more precise than Stanley Gibbons here: "a small white line running into the bun or chignon of hair immediately to the left of the R of REV and below the figure &".

Anyway, here is a strip of three of the "second side face" 1 d die 3 on cover to Scott Bell & Co., London (England). Unfortunately, some one tore off another stamp to the left of the strip of 3. The "A" obliterator cancel is interesting, IMO. It seems to be a revenue protection marking applied in Auckland, since the return address/sender was in Gisborne.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 09/25/2021 7:03 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll give a different opinion on floortrader's pair. On the right stamp, I believe I see a break in the hair (part of the "comma" shape identifying die3). I think Campbell Paterson's description of die 3 is a little more precise than Stanley Gibbons here: "a small white line running into the bun or chignon of hair immediately to the left of the R of REV and below the figure &".

I do not have Campbell Paterson, so your information. would be later and more current than mine (Robson Lowe 1976)
We have it as Die ll.

The flaw is quite minute, if I have it correct, shown here
Overall these stamps have lots of perceived errors due to over inking.

Note the break in the ring above "P" of PENCE, poss an EFO

Edited by rod222 - 09/25/2021 8:18 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
IMO. It seems to be a revenue protection marking applied in Auckland, since the return address/sender was in Gisborne.

I would suggest, given COMMON SHELTON seal, the cover may have gone to Auckland in a pouch, and bulk mail cancelled, therein at Auckland, prior to voyage.

Common Shelton was a stock agent at Gisborne
Gisborne to Auckland 350km

The Auckland CDS appears to be 1889
if so the postage rate is correct (missing 2d stamp)
1876 Rates apply, to UK via Brindisi 8d (eight pence) per half ounce.

NZ joined the UPU October 1891

Edited by rod222 - 09/25/2021 8:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6306 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod. That is a clear, sound explanation which is very probably correct. Still, I cannot understand why the Auckland CDS was necessary and used as a backstamp, unless it verified departure date for some reason.

Here is a source for "relative value" of postal stationery. This appears to be very basic information as a 12-page price list; no dates, or sizes, but some description.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Still, I cannot understand why the Auckland CDS was necessary and used as a backstamp, unless it verified departure date for some reason.

Nor I.
All I can think from a foggy memory somewhere, the dumb or mute Auckland strikes, were to cancel the franking, and the CDS as a transit strike.
Mere speculation.

Love the Postal stationery monograph, not seen that before.
Nice to see a "Cut Square" price as well (20%)
I have a hankering for all these hidden gems of information.
I'll set a eBay want setting for that one.

Edited by rod222 - 09/26/2021 7:56 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New Zealand
Early administrative arrangements.

After the issue of stamps in 1855, strict instructions for their CANCELLATIONS were issued.
(after 1862 the use of stamps was compulsory)
Stamps had to be obliterated at the office of origin.
Later, when orders to the effect was given, the date was also added.

This may go some way of your explanation.

Note: to illustrate stringency of the orders, "outback" postmasters, were on an yearly income of
between 2 and 20, yet an error in faulty REGISTRATION attracted a fine of 8/- (eight shillings)
and THEFT Penal servitude for life !
Edited by rod222 - 09/26/2021 7:47 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Confirmation Floortrader's Auxilliary marking is of Australian origin.
Author : CHIPPIN Internet

We can also imagine the cover from whence the brace of stamps originated, had a "T" for taxe impost due as well.

Loose Letter Auxilliary markings found on the 1d Kangaroo
Bib: Major H Dormer Legge

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6306 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod. There probably were not too many "skips" in those early days.

Here is a wartime, January 31, 1945 censored cover from Invercargill to San Francisco, California. The "printed woodgrain" envelope is recycled and re-sized. The printed ". . . _" (morse code "V") on the censor tape is a nice touch.

Unfortunately, the sender placed a cinderella where it would be mostly covered by the censors tape. I put some lighter fluid on this area to clarify the label and made a quick pen drawing. The proportions are correct, except that the inscribed "D" (?) should be about twice the thickness shown. I tried a few different approaches, but couldn't come up with an answer to which NZ Club made these rouletted labels. I did, however learn that "Of all the Commonwealth countries, New Zealand lost the highest proportion of its population in the Second World War" (nzhistory.govt.nz).

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morse....Well spotted !

New Zealand 1936 DX Club
Saw Tooth Roulette.
https://www.eastamps.com/shop/Cinde...u/74964.html

Edited by rod222 - 09/28/2021 07:51 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by rod222 - 09/28/2021 07:57 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 09/28/2021   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by rod222 - 09/28/2021 08:07 am
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 151 / Views: 9,776Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05