Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Zealand Stamps : Sundry

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 9,026Next Topic
Page: of 9
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/12/2021   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely squared circle cover Bob!

Quote:
Have a Scott 98 used as a Revenue to add to this thread.

The 2/- and 5/- were mainly used on parcels, telegrams, and for fiscal purposes.
Postally used copies of the 5/- are "rare"

Look for:
colourless design embossed on back, stamps sold as mint copies or postmarked.
These are Fiscally used.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/12/2021   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sc67A 1891
Queen Victoria wearing "widow's weeds"
(Not a mourning stamp)
Second sideface halfpenny

One Penny 1d Second Sideface
Look for:
One of the printing staff, accidentally dropped a screwdriver
onto the plate, and this dented it.
result is a cigar shaped white mark in her Majesty's ear.
Known as "The screwdriver flaw"
Laurie Franks "All the stamps of New Zealand" 1977
Edited by rod222 - 07/12/2021 5:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6181 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod. There is no QV "screwdriver flaw" in my collection/accumulation, as far as I can see.

Here is another old cancellation type. This is the concentric circles steel date stamp, which made its NZ appearance in 1894, and continued to be commonly used until around 1905, according to my old trading partner. Also, he (Darryl) noted that the 2 concentric circles type pmk's (as opposed to the 3 or 4 concentric circles) are difficult to find.

The 1910 New Plymouth postmark usage on the postcard, shown here, may or may not be late usage. The reference/illustration shown here is not known to me, except that it is from a postmarks of New Zealand volume.

The back of the postcard is a B & W litho view of Tenerife (Nobrega's English Bazar printing).

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bob,

Quote:
There is no QV "screwdriver flaw" in my collection/accumulation, as far as I can see.

Nor any in my collection of 7 stamps, can be confusing, there is a white blob, on Her Majesty's lower earlobe, I think an earing.

Great information you show! all new to me,
I have no catalogues on Kiwi Postmarks.

I have no double circle Pmks, only a web image of 1, that has an internal split ring as well, I don't assume this qualifies.

Lots of squared circle, 3 ring and 4 ring cancels.

Your TARJETA POSTAL is curious, originates in Argentina?
TARGETA = Spanish = Card

I have an *.pdf on "NZ Marine Postmarks"
Look for
NZ Marine Postmarks, on Hawaiian, and United States Stamps
(San Francisco to Auckland Service)
Edited by rod222 - 07/14/2021 8:14 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's not a earring! I thought it was

We are referring to the 1d "2nd Sideface" stamps that have the "Cigar Flaw"

The 2nd Sidefaces, were of inferior production values, from the first sidefaces.
They also introduced "Postage and Revenue" in the inscriptions.

Note the blob on Her Majesty's ear

Both CHRISTCHURCH 4 ring CDS Pmks

Edited by rod222 - 07/14/2021 10:43 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The right stamp,
the flaw occurs once in each sheet, and is sought after.
I have never seen the flaw, so cannot comment on what it would look like.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1047 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep up the good work!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6181 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Campbell Paterson catalog lists the "screwdriver" flaw for varieties throughout the use of the 1 d second side face, beginning with the die 3, type 2 perf 12 x 11 1/2 (1889) to the perf 11 (1897) issues. It also lists a "chisel" flaw, but neither of the 2 flaws are illustrated in my version of the catalog.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 07/15/2021 10:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6181 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just noticed that seller Irgray10 in Waitara, NZ is currently selling a "screwdriver" flaw on eBay.

Also, nzstamps.org.uk website illustrates both the "screwdriver" and "chisel" plate flaws on their website.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by rod222 - 07/15/2021 5:29 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   03:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bib: CAPTAIN COQK STAMP JOURNAL 1986
From Stamp designer James Berry (Orig Printed 1940)

Edited by rod222 - 07/16/2021 03:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6181 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one more concentric circles steel date stamp. This one is Greymouth (South Island) 12 August, 1912 on the KE VII 1/2 d of 1909. The pmk form is like the first Christchurch cancel shown on the book illustration several postings back.

This Bromley, NZ postcard was printed in France. Early NZ postcards in my collection were made in many different places. Some are locally printed.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 07/17/2021 3:52 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bob,
Polite correction.
"Library Gardens" Bromley, is in London, England.

For your interest........
https://londongardenstrust.org/feat...omleylib.htm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6181 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod. I wondered about this. The postcard image looks so English. There is a Bromley, NZ. It is a suburb of Christchurch, and apparently it is not a garden spot/attractive place at all...industrial storage tanks, sewage treatment facility, etc.

Here is the last concentric circle pmk, I promise. This one is Dunedin and it has a strange ornament/dingbat beneath the town name. Also, note the plate marking below the first "D" of Dunedin in the left margin.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32776 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This one is Dunedin and it has a strange ornament/dingbat beneath the town name.

Oft referred to as a "Fleuron" or "Device" in philatelic parlance.
Cannot recall seeing it before, I'll look through my collection.
I do not see it having any meaning, but have been wrong before.

Quote:
Also, note the plate marking below the first "D" of Dunedin in the left margin.

Possibly an EFO, does not look like a plate punch.
I do not have that stamp (Sc#93) in my collection.
Edited by rod222 - 07/17/2021 5:38 pm
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 9,026Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05