Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Blood's Penny Post Cover From 1853, Philadelphia Local"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
USA
101 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posting this separately upon recommendation of a member.

Thoughts/comments/information?

I understand the penny post stamp being canceled is different than it not being canceled.

Thanks,
Jim

Send note to Staff
Edited by j_h_s - 12/15/2011 07:10 am

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1413 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a bit of information about the company:

http://www.siegelauctions.com/enc/c.../bloods.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1499 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great cover! It is a "keeper". Most locals cancelled on a full cover are highly sought after and can have a value that is much more than off cover.
Pillar Of The Community
Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
1079 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What an awesome cover! I'd love to own that. Congrats to you!

Also, What does "acid tied" refer to?
Pillar Of The Community
1079 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All similar samples I found on-line was on covers with stamps... maybe this one, because it is on early stamped postal cover (possibly scarce itself), could have some additional value??
Pillar Of The Community
1079 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I_Love_Stamps, probably means a stamp canceled (damaged?) with some kind of acid? This is a similar cover I found on-line, which is "acid tied".

Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add western1688 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those a beautiful covers Jim, stunning strikes for both Blood's and Philadelphia. What great US postal history to add to your collection, thanks for sharing them.

Edited by western1688 - 12/15/2011 4:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5813 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, What does "acid tied" refer to?

Some local stamps were tied by an Acid Stain rather than Ink.
Valued Member
USA
101 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the responses....very helpful...and thanks, too, 22, for the link.

I know some collectors here and not here cringe at the thought of someone divesting an inherited collection; but, that's what I'm going to begin doing...for several reasons:

1. I collect coins

2. Even at my age, I'm a very busy man and cant imagine trying to begin an entirely new avocation/hobby that has so many intricacies and nuances.

3. Some of the stamps need attention; attention I cannot properly give to them...particularly as there are an easy thousand covers (from stampless to the 70's) and tens-to-hundreds of stamps, USA and around the world.

Heck, after 45 years of collecting coins I've scratched the surface, scratched it pretty well; but it's a life-long learning process.

I do, however, love reading the history of and information associated with covers and stamps.

I was reading up on three of my cover that are addressed to O. H. Middleton Jr. who is listed on the south face of the Charleston Light Dragoons monument.

O. H. Middleton, Jr
C. Light Dragoons
Charleston SC
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking covers!

"Acid tied" means a few drops of an acidic solution was dripped on the local stamp after it was affixed to the envelope. This caused a discoloration of the stamp and was intended to prevent re-use.

It looks like all the examples in this thread were "acid-tied". The stamp on the first cover was additionally tied by an ink handstamp cancellation.

If the Blood's Penny Post stamp was not "acid-tied" then there would be doubts as to whether it was originally on the cover or just added later to increase the value of the cover.
Valued Member
USA
101 Posts
Posted 12/15/2011   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, t360....very helpful.

Thank you all.

Jim
Edited by j_h_s - 12/15/2011 10:32 pm
United States
1 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add King216 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Phila. US Penny Post is what I make from this handstamp. Is anyone familiar?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1907 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
U.S. Penny Mail, Phila. PA

Here is an example:

http://www.rumseyauctions.com/searc.../9/1/desc/10

Per Rumsey's lot description:

Quote:
The "U.S. PENNY MAIL, PHILA. PA" handstamp was reserved for branch offices and has been recorded from Summer 1861 until beyond July 1, 1863.
Edited by txstamp - 02/26/2020 11:21 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05