Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Birds Never Die..show Off Your Oldest Bird Stamps..

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Australia
212 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Akeela to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A recent addition to my African bird album is this 1960 Great Blue Turaco (Corythaeola cristata)on a stamp from the Central African republic. These large colorful birds are found across the central regions of Africa and hunted for their meat and feathers.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   03:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure even an ornithologist could definitely identify the bird perching on the coat-of-arms of Kishangarh State in India, but ...

it dates from 1899
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by tonymacg - 12/16/2011 03:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
658 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   03:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampStudy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oldest stamp with a bird - Western Australia 1854 - Mute Swan. I will see if I can dig up a decent image.

Drew
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6369 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both from 1935
New Zealand kiwi

And Denmark swan, "The Ugly Duckling" from Hans C. Anderson series.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6369 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Armenian crane 1922

Pillar Of The Community
1508 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fifia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Air mail series
The bird as a "Flyer" by their very nature, was Austrian flight stamp characteristic marking of these stamps. Already on some value levels of air mail mark output 1922 / 1924 was a about a Falcon used as a motive.

flying buzzard.

two cormorants

Schwalben

web photo

Edited by fifia - 12/16/2011 2:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well my Oldest Birds would have to be my Quetzals Guatemala scott numbers 16 and 19 from 1879 and 1881 !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
1508 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fifia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no early birds....

Here is the peace dove from Switzerland from an album I have.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6369 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Czechosovakia
Carrier Pigeon on a 1937 newspaper stamp (left) and 1920 postage (right)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5709 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sharp quetzals, philb. Nice centering on the 19.

edit: I suppose I should contribute something more than a comment...here is a 1905 kagu from New Caledonia:

Edited by Cjd - 12/16/2011 5:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1084 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cynical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philb: your oldest bird stamp setup is interesting to those folks who can view side by side images stereoscopically. Remember the old hand-held parlor apparatus where you would insert a dual image card of the pyramids and see it in 3D. Not everyone can do it but the centre part of your image will appear as a sort of recessed pendent for those who can. For those who can do it there will be a middle image between the two that is three-dimensional.

Now a quiz. What battery-operated toy that was given as a Christmas gift in the 1950s allowed you to see Sleeping Beauty, those Dwarf guys or Cinderella or whoever in 3D. There is no prize.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4698 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cynical, the Viewmaster I had showed stuff in 3D but wasnt battery operated.

Actually I think it's still around somewhere in the basement.
I should look at the Western I had again. Thanks cynical for
reminding me.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4698 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an old Double Eagle circa 1854.

The Double Eagle coat of arms was not only used by
the Austrian- Hungarian dual monarchy (from 1867) but also by the Hapsburgs for hundreds of years when they were rulers of the
Holy Roman Empire and between 1806 - 1867 as Emperors
of Austria.

Edited by lithograving - 12/16/2011 8:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1084 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cynical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Litho: thanks for correcting me re the battery. Am I right in thinking you had to direct it towards a light? Anyway, it was a fantastic toy.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1256 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jamesw,
Are KiWis Birds? I can only recall eating them as "Fruits"
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4698 Posts
Posted 12/16/2011   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Am I right in thinking you had to direct it towards a light

Definitly if you wanted to see anything.

In certain ways Viewmaster was amazing because the images just jumped out at you and it felt like you were part of the scene.
Also the fact that it was in colour compared to watching everything on B&W TV was fascinating for a kid in those days.

I remember when I got the packets ( 3 reels) of The Lone Ranger I was blown away because I had previously only watched the show in black & white.

Yes those were the days. I little thing like that made a kid happy.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05