Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France : The SCF Cinderella Catalogue.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 189 / Views: 26,635Next Topic
Page: of 13
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38244 Posts
Posted 02/05/2023   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
France
Flight Ephemera
Thematic:Constellations.
Any members explain the Vignette / Icon please?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 02/05/2023 5:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6393 Posts
Posted 02/05/2023   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The hippocampus from mythology. They drew Poseidon's chariot.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
877 Posts
Posted 02/05/2023   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And here is one that I was hoping to find an ID for in this thread but no joy so far. It looks to be WWII to me but other than the initials in the upper corner, I cannot see who may have issued it.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6393 Posts
Posted 02/05/2023   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Commissariat Général aux Prisonniers de Guerre Rapatriés

1944? I have a bookmark to a page with the various values described. I'll dig it out.

ETA: It is 1944. This is the low value of six. Here is some more information (in French):
http://1f50bersier.free.fr/vignette.php
Edited by Cjd - 02/05/2023 7:25 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38244 Posts
Posted 02/05/2023   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The hippocampus from mythology. They drew Poseidon's chariot.

Thank you.
I think I have seen it on stamps before, but never gave it much heed.

Great Link for French Cinderellas too !

Hippocampus Antiquorum (Adriatic)

Edited by rod222 - 02/05/2023 7:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
877 Posts
Posted 02/05/2023   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cjd Thank you for the link. As it suggested in the description, the portrait really is quite striking.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 02/05/2023   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The hippocampus---important brain structure (aren't they all). Functions include memory recall, spatial orientation. So-called because if its resemblance to the beautiful sea creature. My major research focus for 30 years.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
38244 Posts
Posted 02/05/2023   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
877 Posts
Posted 02/06/2023   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What makes a Cinderella. I know the basic definition but how about something like this? It was used in a Philatelic Sense and it was issued, kind of, by the French government. However, it's intended use was not enforced and it is not recognized by all Stamp catalogues, most notably by Scott. Admittedly, they are notorious for being very choosy about what they will or will not have an entry for, but....

Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 189 / Views: 26,635Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05