Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France : The SCF Cinderella Catalogue.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 176 / Views: 25,248Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 09/17/2017   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another design for the Eiffel Tower label. These are a bit larger than the others shown thus far. They measure 35mm x 48mm perf. tip to perf. tip., and they are photogravure printings.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36797 Posts
Posted 09/17/2017   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.
Note: No flag atop the tower.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 01/01/2018   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Daniel Jules Alexis Brottier, a French Roman Catholic priest, founded The Orphans of Auteuil in 1923. In 1936, upon his death, "Fifteen thousand Parisians attended his Funeral Mass." According to Wikipedia, "He was declared venerable in 1983 and then beatified on the 25th of November 1984 by Pope John Paul II".

This cinderella, printed by photogravure, shows orphan boys learning shoe repair.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 01/01/2018 4:49 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36797 Posts
Posted 01/02/2018   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice cinderella with ID and explanation, Bob.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 01/02/2018   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod. The story behind the stamp always makes it more interesting, IMO.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36797 Posts
Posted 01/02/2018   01:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely Bob.
There is also a powerful story in the image.

We are losing, through mass production, the ability to "make things"
which when we did, engendered self worth, and self respect.

I was just recently reading about a 14 year old Aussie lass, just completed 6 years of Blacksmithing, making knives.
Heartwarming stuff.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 02/06/2018   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These 1939 Cinderellas celebrate the 150th anniversary of the French Revolution. The smiling Robespierre is flanked by Saint-Just and Marat. The labels are offset printed.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/06/2018 7:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an older one. This nicely engraved cinderella serves as the return address label of (stamp dealer?) L. Bernard of Paris.. The engraver did not sign it, but you can see his "inspiration" in the last scan.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36797 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The engraver did not sign it, but you can see his "inspiration" in the last scan.

Wow!
extraordinary, Bob.
Is that your Cinderella ? ..... searching for approval to send to our Cinderella Club, for broadcast in our magazine.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, I snagged this one many years ago. Ran across it yesterday in a cover box. Feel free to use the pics.

There must have been a large number of engravers in Paris in the first half of the 20th century. It is very odd to think of a person taking a small print job to an engraver.

When I Googled "L. Bernard, Paris" it showed Societe L. Bernard, a manufacturer of fur articles. Don't know if there is any connection.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 03/05/2018 11:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
2255 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyway, they had a very good taste and the engraver, also, did a very good job. You can see Paris' arms on the place of the stamp value. Nice cinderella!
Pillar Of The Community
2255 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tuberculose Defense Comittee. Calmette Saviour of the children.

I don't have many French cinderellas, despite of speaking and reading French and living just 180 km South of France. But, in SW Europe, this is a very great distance! Here, everything is at hand.
Valued Member
411 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dynamode to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this is the right place for this, as all the cinderellas shown here are much older.

I have this small sheet of modern french cinderellas (?) from the Musée d'Orsay, Paris. I did try google sometime ago for information, and tried again just now. Nothing came up.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36797 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod, I snagged this one many years ago. Ran across it yesterday in a cover box. Feel free to use the pics.

Thanks Bob.
I'll submit it for consideration.
I think the Kiwis (New Zealanders) will be fascinated.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36797 Posts
Posted 03/05/2018   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have this small sheet of modern french cinderellas (?) from the Musée d'Orsay, Paris.

Perhaps an advertising promotion.
Featuring faces from famous artworks...I think I recognise 4 of them.

Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 176 / Views: 25,248Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05