Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France : The SCF Cinderella Catalogue.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 176 / Views: 25,256Next Topic
Page: of 12
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add b67 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, I have nothing but this poor image.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by b67 - 12/10/2021 1:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3153 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The image is quite poor, akin to us appraising a diamond, from across a football field.

That sums it very nicely Rod!

I guess at the bottom it says LE SOUS-MARIN followed by the boat's name but I can't quite read it.

The symbols in the corners remind of the Hungarian coat of arms but that's just based on the shape.

I look forward to seeing a sharper image.

Nigel
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add b67 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The original question was what does JMC mean? The letters are at the top.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3356 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the photos file code there is the word acheron which was the name of a french sub launched in 1929..
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add b67 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the photos file code there is the word acheron which was the name of a french sub launched in 1929.

You have a keen eye. Can you suggest what the letters JMC at the top mean?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36808 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I had the "Acheron" immediately,
(I downloaded the scan to be able to do Google Image search)
saw the image text string.

I used every possible matrix of the info I could think of
Nothing

Looks like Bells in each corner

Has to be a 1950's cinderella, something like a cigarette card type of thing, has to be reasonably scarce, as no other items, if it was in a set, comes up in Google with JMC.

That's 2 unidentified cinderallas here on SCF in a few days
That is very rare

The other being those Austrian Military Vignettes.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36808 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The information is offered in a very parsimonious manner,
no info on where the image originated
where it was found etc.

Help us, to help you.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36808 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are we sure the script is in French?

Quote:
which was the name of a French sub launched in 1929..

I made it HMS Acheron launched in 1947
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Acheron_(P411)

I had not searched the French route.

Further
Probably French, does not share the same shape as HMS Acheron

https://www.naval-history.net/xGM-C..._Acheron.htm
Edited by rod222 - 12/10/2021 4:31 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36808 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Acheron also features prominently in Greek mythology, where it is often depicted as the entrance to the Greek Underworld where souls must be ferried across by Charon (although some later sources, such as Roman poets, assign this role to the river Styx).
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3356 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
why would a British sub be marked sous-marin ?
If it was British it would be easier.the "JMC "Joint Maritime Course started after the war. Anti submarine warfare...Now called Exercice Joint Warrior..
Edited by perf12 - 12/10/2021 4:41 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36808 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
why would a British sub be marked sous-marin ?

You would be better answering that.
I could not read that on the item
it was illegible to me

The only info I had was "acheron"
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3153 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a picture of the French submarine Ajax from Wikipedia which was of the same M6 type of the 1500 tonne class as the Achéron and is described as identical:

The Achéron was scuttled in Toulon in 1942.
Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 12/10/2021 6:15 pm
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add b67 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was another picture discovered. This vignette is about Sainte Terese de l'enfant Jesus {there is somewhat unreadable} de la J.M.C.

Google sucks. Do you have a clue what JMC stands for?

Sorry for the quality but there is no chance to offer better images. The pictures were saved from the Internet twenty years ago or so to a floppy disks. Do you remember what a floppy disk is? The sound the floppy drive was making? Do you remember the full capacity of the floppy disk was 720KB or 1.44MB? OK, have fun.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those corner decorations on each of the labels appear to be sailing ships.
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add b67 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those corner decorations on each of the labels appear to be sailing ships.

Guess the corner decorations design is based on the admiralty anchor.
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 176 / Views: 25,256Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05