Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mauritius Pillar Box Cancel...which Pillar Box?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 2,646Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/18/2011   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Cjd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a 1908 pillar box cancel from Mauritius:

I assume that the bottom arc is a town, and not a generic "Mauritius." My guess is Port Louis. Any better guesses?
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/19/2011   05:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I don't think anyone would argue with that.
Here's one with the UI showing
http://www.bcstamps.co.uk/item-5865...ostmark.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 12/19/2011   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a greater value for the pillar box cancellation?
Edited by rohumpy - 12/19/2011 05:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/19/2011   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancel could have changed, I guess, and I suppose that there might be more than one for Port Louis, but I can't help but notice the extraneous " - " in mine, between the X and the S, so I'm not quite "solved" yet. Thanks for that link.

Rohumpy, I only have a list of Mauritius post offices, no rarity ratings. I'm sure I'll never get them all, but when I see one I don't have, I pick it up (if it is within reason).
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/19/2011   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The fact that it is a "pillar box" suggests
a busy centre. (boxes other than the PO centre)
Port Louis had a Port Louis centre, and a port louis Station,
you can also draw out the CDS and see if "port louis"
fits in the 360 degree format arc.
There are no other post offce centres ending with S
that fits the same as Port Louis AFAIK.

There would be more than 1 CDS hammer for the pillar box
clearance clerks, one would assume.
It may not be solved, but fairly clear in my opinion.

United Kingdom
1 Posts
Posted 01/30/2012   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bcstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Noticed this site and thread this morning as it had a link to the pillar box postmark from my site. Then found a Port Louis Pillar Box cancel this evening!

It isn't a great cancel, but definitely must be Pillar Box / Port Louis and matches the "S" from the original post.

http://www.bcstamps.co.uk/item-1163...ostmark.html

Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 02/01/2012   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome bcstamps. You should go here and introduce yourself!

http://goscf.com/f/11

Recently I purchased some very nice Tuvalu watermark varieties with margins from you
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 02/01/2012   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for adding that, and welcome!

C.
Valued Member
Malta
107 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   05:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Halfpenny Yellow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone have any more details about these Pillar Box cancellations? I am intrigued since I don't recall ever seeing similarly-worded postmarks from any other countries, and I could find very few details online regarding how/why they were used.

I found some information at the following link: http://www.postmarks.co.za/PH%20Mau...%20Louis.htm
This mentions that there were at least six types of these postmarks, five reading "Pillar Box / Port Louis" and one "Pillar Box / General Post Office" - all of these were used at the Port Louis GPO. The website cites The Postal History of Mauritius by Proud and gives the recorded dates of use of each postmark, which range between 1881 and 1952.

However, it does not give any additional information such as why these postmarks were used in the first place. Wasn't the majority of mail posted in pillar boxes? If so why was it necessary to have a postmark reading "Pillar Box"?

Do any members have a copy of the Proud book which might give some additional details?

It would also be interesting if anyone knows something about these postmarks' value (either on loose stamps or covers/postcards).
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Pillar Box"
Seen on Australian Slogan Machine Postmarks, still searching for my examples.

Jamaica : CDS reads "street letter box"
Tasmania : CDS with P-R = Pillar Receiver
Queensland : Octagonal DS with P-B = Pillar Box. (A letter appears above the dash either H,O,T,X)

Guess: to indicate any delay in delivery. eg: depending on when the Pillar was cleared, may influence when mail was despatched to railheads for delivery elsewhere.
"Pillar Box" ID assists in this.
Edited by rod222 - 07/04/2020 05:51 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   05:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australia Machine cancels: Posted in Pillar Box, Posted in Country Box.
Valued Member
Malta
107 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Halfpenny Yellow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod! I had never seen those Australia machine cancellations.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 2,646Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05