Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dragons Of The World

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 337 / Views: 104,315Next Topic
Page: of 23
Pillar Of The Community
1508 Posts
Posted 12/29/2011   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fifia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A flying dragon? looks mean to me...

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 12/29/2011   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely dragon-related in a mythical creature kind of way, fifia.
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 12/30/2011   01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just received, 2012 Dragons from my exchange pal in Taiwan. Beautiful designs:

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 12/30/2011   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, those Taiwan stamps and souvenir sheet are wonderful.

Are those yellow-looking spots (in the scans) on them reflective and shiny to represent gold?

Is this the Year of the Metal (gold) Dragon like it was for the tiger last year?
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 12/30/2011   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The design of the 3-50 stamp has me wondering too. It looks like the two dragons are forming their own negative and positive Yin Yang symbols.

Hidden symbology. Hide it out in plain site. I like it.
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 12/30/2011   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Puzzler - the yellow spots are just yellow, no special finish. Your question about the element caught me out, but I see now that Akeela said that 2012 will be Water Dragon. Metal Dragon was the earlier cycle in 2000. I don't know about the dragons on the 3.50 stamp, but I agree it is amazing how great a message a small stamp carry!
Valued Member
Australia
212 Posts
Posted 12/30/2011   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Akeela to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Akeela, rod222, will Australia put out a Year of the Dragon issue?

Christmas island Year of the Dragon stamps will be issued January 10. As usual, two gummed stamps plus a minisheet with the same stamps. Stamps have values of 60c and $1.80. Also prepaid covers for local and International rates. You can see all the issues in the latest auspost bulletin.
Valued Member
Australia
212 Posts
Posted 12/30/2011   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Akeela to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
a dragon from Czechoslovakia, Victory stamp with St George and the Dragon issued 1945

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 12/30/2011   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an image of a stamp depicting the figurehead from the 19th century Danish brig Hvalfisken ("The Whalefish"), designed by Greenlandic artist Jens Christian Rosing (1925-2008), combined engraved by Martin Mörck and offset, and issued by Greenland on October 12, 1995, Scott No. 299, Facit No. 277, plus a photo of a replica of the figurehead used by a tavern in Svendborg, Denmark. Strictly speaking, I suppose Hvalfisken is not a dragon; but surely it must be a close marine relative?

- nethryk

Edited by nethryk - 12/30/2011 11:46 am
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 12/30/2011   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Akeela, thanks for the pointer to the AusPost brochure. I have been reading about Christmas island. I will definitely try to get those dragons.

Excellent find nethryk, great comparison with the photo (I am drafting a topic similar to this). Definitely of the dragon family, I'd say, considering 2012 is year of the Water Dragon.
Edited by scifi7 - 12/30/2011 8:13 pm
Valued Member
Australia
212 Posts
Posted 12/30/2011   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Akeela to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi scifi7, You dont have to try too hard to get one of those CI covers...you're already on my list of recipients!! :)
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 12/30/2011   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool! Thanks Akeela I didn't realise that would be a CI cover I have a Thai dragon cover reserved for you. There is a lot of interest in the Thailand dragon issue from China - I am exchanging 30 covers!
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 12/31/2011   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
scifi7 - Thanks. "Water dragon" works for me.

More Welsh Dragons: Two Wales & Monmouthshire regional definitive stamps designed by Reynolds Stone, printed by photogravure, and first issued by Great Britain (UK) on September 29, 1958, Scott Nos. WM3 & WM5, SG Nos. W3 & W5. Note the bubtle design differences between the two dragons, e.g., the direction of the curl in the tail!

- nethryk

Dragon

Dragon and Leek (another national symbol of Wales)
Edited by nethryk - 12/31/2011 09:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
1508 Posts
Posted 01/02/2012   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fifia to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and another little stamp - Vietnam

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 01/02/2012   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but that is a lion, fifia. Temple Lion to be exact. Postage due 1952.
Pretty though.
The issue after that 1955-56 did show a dragon. Haven't got one to show, I'm afraid.
Page: of 23 Previous TopicReplies: 337 / Views: 104,315Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05