Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bolivia Missing Overprint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 12/31/2011   12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ajbbarbados to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this mint stamp from Bolivia (Scott 438) that is missing the overprint that Scott says its suppose to have. There is a stamp from the same series at the top with its correct overprint (Scott 436). According to Scott, the stamp missing its overprint should be overprinted with 400bs. Is this an error? Has anyone ever seen this before?

Correct, with overprint

Incorrect, missing overprint

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/31/2011   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Donning the horns of the Devil's advocate...
can I see some red in the second stamp there?
perhaps the red has faded?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 12/31/2011   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ajbbarbados to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That read hint is from the scanner. Trust me. I can tell you with 100% certainty that there is no red on it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6732 Posts
Posted 12/31/2011   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not really an error. The set is known to exist without the overprint, although it was not regularly issued as such. I would take a wild guess and think it was a subsequent sale of remaining non-surcharged stock, because I've not seen a genuine postally used copy with no surcharge (doesn't mean they don't exist, I just haven't seen one).

I think the non-surcharged set actually retails for roughly 50% of the normal stamps -- that is my rough estimate as the Scott catalog prices for Bolivia have been extremely volatile the past 2 years or so (probably more from Scott finally getting around to updating Bolivia, rather than real price changes).
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 01/01/2020   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DRisser to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This set of 19 was issued in 1926 but never put on sale. Many years later all values except the three centavos were overprinted with new values. They are listed in the Celiflo catalog as 183-201. There were 750,000 of the 15 centavlos printed, one of the more common values.

It's possible to construct a full Sun Gate using the comp0lete set though with five each of the 1/2 centavo, 1 centavo,2 centavo, 3 centavo, 5 centavo, and 10 centavos. The Cefilco catalog values the that set at $350. Most of that value is in the 3 centavos value, mostly destroyed and valued at $35 each by Cefilco.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 01/01/2020   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any idea of the going rate for the Cefilco Catalogue please?
New and used ?

Edited by rod222 - 01/01/2020 9:23 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05