Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thailand Stamps, Issued 2012 / 2555

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 71 / Views: 14,699Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/05/2012   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add scifi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I collect new issues from Thailand. This topic aims to build a record of stamp issues in Thailand in 2012: images, details, and calendar (2012 only).

I might be the only one posting/reading here, but if Thailand comes up in your research of modern stamps, maybe there will be something you can add or take away.

Please post anything you have concerning 2012 Thai stamp issues - mint, used, on cover or postcard, info or questions.

To start things off, the first issue of the year:

Issue 960: "Zodiac Postage Stamp (Year of the Dragon), 1st January 2012 / 2555

Also issued on FDC:

The current series of zodiac stamps are not offered as a souvenir sheet.

I had a difficult time collecting this issue. Went to two post offices yesterday (4th Jan, first day that the P.O. opened after the new year). The postal staff had no idea what I was talking about, I suppose not everyone is as excited about new issues as I am

Tried a third post office today - and took a pre-release image of the stamp with me, to avoid any head-scratching. There was some whispering among the staff, and I was asked - guardedly - how many stamps I wanted. I asked for 10 sheets (20 stamps per sheet). Absolutely not possible, I was told. I was bargained all the way down to one sheet (I'm not much of a bargainer), which was fetched with some secrecy from an office out the back. I think I was only allowed that one because I am a regular collector there.

I'm not sure what is happening, but the last few issues have been very hard to get. It seems that provincial post offices are not being sent new issues, or very few sets. Possibly there are still logistic problems from the floods last year.
Send note to Staff
Edited by scifi7 - 08/09/2012 01:38 am

Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/05/2012   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Current issue calendar for 2012

My Thai Stamp Bulletin is stuck in the post, ironically, so this info is from the Siam Stamp Catalog (http://www.siamstamp.com/catalogue/...hp?year=2012), a good online resource:

960 - Year of the Dragon - 1st January

961 - 120th Birthday Anniversary of H.R.H. Prince Mahidol of Songkhla - 1st January (Have not seen this in local post offices yet.)

963 - National Children's Day - 14th January

964 - Chinese New Year - 23rd January

965 - 750th Anniversary of Chiang Rai - 26th January (I am looking forward to this one. Chiang Rai is a city in the far north, where the Emerald Buddha was found when a lightning strike split one of the chedis open. The Emerald Buddha is now located in the Grand Palace and is the most sacred of Buddha images in Thailand.)

966 - Symbol of Love - 7th February (Last year, Thailand Post issued perfumed stamps. They are still going strong whenever I go past that page in my album.)

The missing 962 issue is, I think, a commemorative stamp of H.M. King Bhumibol. No further information about that issue yet.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33557 Posts
Posted 01/06/2012   04:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I might be the only one posting/reading here

Snort!
This is SCF, you have a worlwide audience.....

Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/06/2012   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod I know that you and I are interested in Thailand, but I don't expect it to be a hot topic on SCF. Probably just trying too hard to cheer myself up if the topic gets no hits! Especially a topic about modern stamps. There is so much knowledge on SCF about antique stamps and rare items, it's incredible.

Anyway Rod, thanks for your support Down to business now, and I'm afraid I have to red card the Fireworks stamps. That issue is titled "New Year 2012 Postage Stamps", but they were issued on 15th November 2011 Those stamps are too old for this topic!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33557 Posts
Posted 01/06/2012   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers SciFi, :)
just remember when people search on Google
very often SCF comes up, I think you would be surprised how many
people will read your post, especially Thai enthusiasts,
Anyhows, consider it adding to the valuable SCF database of knowledge
You never know who will come and sip at the well, in the future.

I see you are a "date of issue" man
I am a Stanley Gibbons Catalogue user, and we tend
to collate our stamps by "Type", I especially
prefer that way in my albums, rather than a sometimes
disjointed collection by "issue date"

But anyhow, I get your point :)
I can remove that scan if you so wish ?

Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/06/2012   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No problem Rod, that's fine, I think it illustrates an interesting point. I am a new collector, and although I know that Scott and SG cover the world, I haven't got into them yet, whereas I see that experienced collectors use them as worldwide reference points. This forum is great for picking up tips like that.

Probably also because I mainly collect new issues (80% of my collection), I don't need to unravel the identity of a stamp. As my main interest is Thailand, I just use the Saeng-Ngern catalogue (only to 2008):

When organising my collection, I arrange stamps chronologically, but I think that is the way my brain is wired. I never had much imagination Maybe I am more of a documenter than a collector, it's a way of learning about my adopted country. When I look through my collection, I do see stamps across several years that would make a great topical group, and some issues are part of long-standing series that span years (e.g. Thai Provincial Emblems, or Zodiac Postage stamps). I do feel the need to display them together. Fortunately, buying new stamps is cheap, so I usually buy enough of a new issue to display in a couple of different albums The fireworks issues are a good example; Thailand Post starting issuing New Year stamps with firework designs in 2010 (the first series is the best). As this series grows it will look great in one display.

Tom
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33557 Posts
Posted 01/06/2012   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a super looking catalogue Tom.
How much retail? (approx)

What parameters for "New Issues" are you considering ?
I have quite a collection of the A4 style souvenir sheets
going back to 2000.
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/07/2012   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,it's a great catalogue, colour images of every issue to 2008, from Palace Locals and British Consulate, through every definitive and commemorative, souvenir sheets, and some other postal items, including mint/used valuations. Cover price is 500 THB (approx 15 AUS), although I have seen it discounted. ISBN 978-974-10-9504-9. Produced by Hobby International. If you'd like one, Rod, and can't get it locally, send me a message and we'll sort one out.

For this topic, my plans are really for Thai stamps issued in 2012 only - kind of like our own catalogue, as a reference topic. 2013 to follow next year A bit dry maybe, but it would be good to add background details of aspects of Thai life that the issues cover - beyond the stamp (e.g. I am hoping the upcoming Chiang Rai commemorative will feature the Emerald Buddha). And any Thai stamp issued in 2012 is welcome, however it finds the light of day. I think there are some great topical threads going on over in the main topical forum, so this would be an alternative approach, a chronological look at Thailand - a year in snapshot.

Those A4 souvenir sheets, are they picture cards, with the stamp affixed in a mount? I like those too. I think they are produced by third parties, including Hobby International. Many different designs for featured issues. I collect the ones about H.M. the King.

Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/10/2012   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issue 961 - 120th Birthday Anniversary of H.R.H. Prince Mahidol of Songkhla

Issued: 1st January 2012

Prince Mahidol Adulyadej (b. 1 January 1892, d. 24 September 1929) is the father of H.M. King Bhumibol (King Rama IX), the present king of Thailand, and is known as the Prince Father. He was one of the youngest sons of King Chulalongkorn (King Rama V), and was given the title Prince of Songkhla. Songkhla is a province in southern Thailand - you can see a map (and a stamp!) on my Flickr page here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/atomdocs/5119987861/

As a young man, Prince Mahidol was sent to Europe to complete his education. He studied in England and Germany, and in 1912 he received a commission as a lieutenant in the Imperial German Navy and the Royal Thai Navy. Prince Mahidol returned to Thailand at the outbreak of WWI.

On his return, he was encouraged to turn his attention to public health. Embracing this responsibility, Prince Mahidol decided to train as a doctor, and went to Cambridge, Massachusetts, to study at Harvard. H.M. King Bhumibol was born in Cambridge in 1927, the second son to Prince Mahidol. Prince Mahidol qualified as a doctor and returned to Thailand to practice medicine, and he set up several medical scholarships before his health deteriorated through kidney problems.

Today, Prince Mahidol is considered the father of modern medicine and public health in Thailand. 24th September is observed as Mahidol Day, to commemorate his passing.

(Source: Wikipedia)
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/12/2012   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issue 961 - 120th Birthday Anniversary of H.R.H. Prince Mahidol of Songkhla - First Day Cover

Here is the FDC of issue 961. Unfortunately, my copy seems to have received a ghost imprint of something else.

And the details of the issue on the back of the FDC.

Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/28/2012   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issue 963 - National Children's Day 2012

Date of issue: 14th January 2012

I don't have the stamps yet, but here is the FDC:

And details on the back:

This issue depicts cartoon illustrations from a traditional Thai folk tale. The story is called "Inao", and originally came from Java. It was adopted in Thai culture during the reign of King Rama II.
Valued Member
Singapore
186 Posts
Posted 01/28/2012   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Leng to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I look forward to seeing more of your Thai stamps scifi7
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/28/2012   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issue 962 - H.M. The King, Teacher for the Land

Date of issue: 16th January 2012

This issue was a late announcement in the issue schedule. A single stamp featuring His Majesty King Bhumibol, King Rama IX. The King works hard to support the mainly agricultural society in Thailand, and has many engineering patents to his name. For a long time, he has taught a philosophy of sustainable self-sufficiency.

Edited by scifi7 - 01/30/2012 05:41 am
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/28/2012   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Leng! The goal of this topic is to create a reference for Thailand issues in 2012, but not just mint stamps. Any stamp or cover you have featuring the Thai stamps issued in 2012 is welcome here :)
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/28/2012   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issue 964 - Caishenye Postage Stamps

Date of issue: 23rd January 2012 (first day of the Chinese New Year)

Caishenye was a Chinese folk hero who became the God of Prosperity. The first stamp in this issue, "Belligerent Caishenye", shows Caishenye with the traditional symbols of a golden rod and a tiger. The second stamp, "Bountiful Caishenye", shows Caishenye with gold riches.

The issue is also available on a souvenir sheet:

Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 01/29/2012   04:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Updated: Issue calendar for 2012

960 - Year of the Dragon - 1st January

961 - 120th Birthday Anniversary of H.R.H. Prince Mahidol of Songkhla - 1st January

963 - National Children's Day - 14th January

962 - H.M The King - Teacher for the Land - 16th January

964 - Caishenye - 23rd January (Chinese New Year)

965 - 750th Anniversary of Chiang Rai - 26th January (This issue had not arrived at the P.O. when I went last week.)

966 - Symbol of Love - 7th February (Last year, Thailand Post issued perfumed stamps. They are still going strong whenever I go past that page in my album.)

967 - 80th Anniversary of Excise Department - 17th February

968 - Red Cross 2012 - ??th March

969 - 100th Anniversary of the Ministry of Transport and Communications - 1st April

970 - 50th Anniversary of the Asian-Pacific Postal Union (APPU) - 1st April

971 - 99th Anniversary of the Government Savings Bank - 1st April

972 - Thai Heritage Conservation 2012 - 2nd April

973 - Centennial of RTAF Forefathers Aviation - 9th April

25553 - Definitive Postage Stamps: Tourist Spots (Seaside 2nd Series) - ??th May

974 - The Coronation Memorial - 5th May

975 - 2012 International Rotary Conference - 6th May

976 - Important Buddhist Religion Day (Visakhapuja Day 2012) - 4th June

977 - 115th Anniversary of King Chulalongkorn's Visit to Austria 1897-2012 - 22nd June

978 - 80th Anniversary of the Prime Minister's Office - 28th June

979 - Provincial Emblems (7th Series) - 28th June
Edited by scifi7 - 01/31/2012 11:23 pm
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 71 / Views: 14,699Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05