Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thailand Stamps, Issued 2012 / 2555

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 71 / Views: 14,647Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 06/18/2012   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issue 976 - 2012 Rotary International Convention

Issued on 6th May 2012 / 2555

A simple commemorative issue: one stamp and FDC, commemorating the convention which took place on 6th - 9th May 2012 in Bangkok. The background image at the top of the stamp is the Grand Palace in Bangkok:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by scifi7 - 06/18/2012 10:10 pm
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 06/19/2012   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issue 978 - Important Buddhist Religion Day (Visak Day 2012)

Issued on 2nd June 2012 / 2555

Visak Day (or Vesak) is celebrated in many countries around the Buddhist world.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Vesak is a holy day observed traditionally by Buddhists in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, India, Nepal and the South East Asian countries of Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Burma, the Philippines, and Indonesia. Sometimes informally called "Buddha's Birthday", it actually encompasses the birth, enlightenment (nirvana), and passing away (Parinirvana) of Gautama Buddha

You can read more from Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesak

The issue comprises a single stamp, first day cover, and souvenir sheet. The design of the stamp is simple and elegant. This is one of my favourite stamps from this year:

The Buddha image is shown on a background depicting a Bodhi tree leaf (Sacred Fig, Ficus religiosa, also known as Bo tree). Gautama Buddha achieved enlightenment while sitting beneath a Bodhi tree. You can find Bodhi trees at many temples around Thailand. Here are some images from my own travels.

At Wat Phra Si Sanphet, Ayutthaya:

At Wat Chedi Chet Thaew, Si Satchanalai Historical Park, Sukothai:

The souvenir sheet is also a very nice item:

And the first day cover:

Edited by scifi7 - 07/07/2012 07:43 am
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 06/19/2012   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: Issue 977 is out of chronological order. It will be issued on 28th June (Provincial Emblems, 7th series).
Valued Member
Hong Kong
13 Posts
Posted 07/05/2012   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HKStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting these scifi7. I used to visit Bangkok often before I got married and would always go to the GPO to buy whatever new stamps that are available.

I specially love collecting the definitives (different denominations, different perf, different watermark)!

What's the current series look like now? Do you have any photo?
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 07/05/2012   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi HKStamps, thanks for posting - welcome to SCF! I like to collect the King Rama IX definitives also. The current series is the 10th series, issued in 2010, with a portrait of the King in his Royal Air Force uniform. I will make a scan and post. In recent years, Thailand post has issued more diverse definitive sets, to promote national identity. I still prefers the King's portraits. I have posted my set of King Rama IX 1st series here:
http://goscf.com/t/20173&whichpage=17#185224

HK and TH are not so far away, hope you can get to Bangkok and the GPO again sometime. I'd like to take my family on a trip to HK one day.
Edited by scifi7 - 07/05/2012 10:40 pm
Valued Member
Hong Kong
13 Posts
Posted 07/06/2012   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HKStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks scifi7. Yes, I noticed there were a few new ones, like Thai flag, flowers, emblems etc. but I still prefer King Rama IX with all the different colors, overprints, etc.

Can't wait for your post...
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 07/12/2012   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HKStamps, here are some Rama IX 10th series definitives (in the Definitives topic):

http://goscf.com/t/20173&whichpage=19#220696
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 08/09/2012   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Issue 949 - Thailand 2013 World Stamp Exhibition Commemorative Stamps (1st Series)

This issue was scheduled for 4th August, but it has been postponed until later this year. I don't know why.
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 08/22/2012   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another postponement:

Issue 985 - Prominent Personage (H.R.H. Prince Nares Varariddhi) Postage Stamp

I don't know when this will be issued.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumped thread.
Last post 9 years ago.

Mods
Are the images available to RE SET here please?

Sadly, a much wasted thread
Edited by rod222 - 09/18/2021 8:50 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33077 Posts
Posted 09/18/2021   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just won at auction.

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 71 / Views: 14,647Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05