Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scotland Smyth Of Balharry Pre Stamp Letters

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 12,300Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1022 Posts
Posted 11/08/2012   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 1d2d great link, I have sent the guy an email in the hope he has more.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 01/15/2013   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Don Marley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there. Re James Smyth of Balhary/Balharrie. I understand he was a Writer To The Signet (historic name for a solicitor). I have a letter addressed to him dated 1765 from Helen Nairn of Dundee (unable to trace any info re her so far)re property/estate matters. I don't have the means to scan or send a copy of the letter, but I can let you have a transcript & description if it's of any use to you. Regards
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1022 Posts
Posted 01/15/2013   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don, it would be appreciated if you can post transcipt of your letter and I will add detail to my collection notes, thanks very much.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 01/20/2013   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Don Marley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Letter reads as follows:
Sirs, I have yours of the 15th and am very sensible of your disinterested friendship. The reason of my last was Capt Reid applying himself to me and offering to take Drumgeight at the price you had it for. I told him it was yours and, that as you had showed yourself so much my friend, I wished you might make some advantage, upon which he pressed me to write you to renounce the bargain. The letter you received was wrote by him and only signed by me. He likewise told me that Mr Johnstone of Pitcarrie had offered Twenty Guineas more than you bought it for at the roup and desired to be informed if any higher offer was made betwixt this and Martinsmass. Now Sir I am resolved according to your advice that you shall pass for the purchaser and whatever offer Capt Reid or others may make, they are to deal with you as I put an entire confidence in you. If you judge proper to write to Capt Reid he is now at Leith. I would be glad to know when you design being in Dundee as I intend coming to town with my family at Martinsmass and would be glad to converse with you if I knew the time of your coming would be here myself to wait upon you.
I am Sir your most (unreadable) Helen Nairn.
Dundee 19th October 1765.

Letter addressed To James Smyth of Balharie Esq at Balharie, to the care of Mr James Kay (unreadable) in Coupar Angus.

Paper is folded foolscap with LVG and crest watermark.

Hope someone can tell me anything about Helen Nairn.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1022 Posts
Posted 01/20/2013   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice letter, your lucky to have it. Thanks for your effort with the transcript I have saved the text in my Balharry files for reference.
United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 12/03/2013   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willieking to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
Just found this topic when researching a 1820 cover to John Smith Balharry from James Hunter WS Dundee - so signed in but while scanning lost my initial letter.
However not time to rewrite at moment and scans probably too big.
Rated 6 Dundee type S19 cancel (Auckland Stables) and S29 Rect Dundee Too Late which is 4 years earlier than current EKD.
Be very interested to receive scan of your manuscript mark of 1738. This one is not listed by Rex Clark in his Monograph on Scottish Manuscript marks - so far 9 are listed for Dundee between 1714 and 1738 - all are to Edinburgh and all rated 2 as aginst your one rated 4.
Willie King
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6514 Posts
Posted 12/03/2013   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, what a great reminder, Willie! Thanks (and welcome to the forum!)
Duncan, I've still got to get a useful jpeg or pdf to you of that Smyth letter I found last year. Forgive my tardyness! I won't make excuses, I just plain forgot. But they are still sitting in a folder on my computer desk top. I'll resize them and send again.
Hope all is well with you down under and you are enjoying your summer (or is it spring?)

James
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1022 Posts
Posted 12/03/2013   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi James & Willie thanks for your posts its been ages since I have been on this site I have been to busy selling pre-stamp and qv covers in my eBay store. I have however now collected three albums full of Smyth letters there seems to be a never ending supply of them. Sorry I haven't scanned them all but they sure do display nicely. I am still interested to see others if anyone uploads scans it would be much appreciated. Summer here already and xmas around the corner, cheers. D
United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 12/04/2013   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willieking to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Both,
have now uploaded the front of the letter to Balharry.
First time I have tried this but not very impressed having to degrade the quality so much. Might be OK for single stamps but anyway you get the basics and I have the contents scanned on my PC. Now used the sites optimizer so still not accepted the contents page so guess I have more to learn.
Meantime have contacted a collector in Dundee to find out why the 1/2d tax not applied - may be a cross post to Meigle rather than than using msilcoach via Perth.
Willie

Pillar Of The Community
1071 Posts
Posted 12/13/2013   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are very lucky to have so many family letters from the era. If I had such a basis for a specialized collection I too would make it my main collecting area of interest to build on my family history.

From your description it sounds like everything is business and legal content. The letters I personally find most interesting are ones the express the personal side of life - love letters, political discourse letters, apects of everyday life letters, letters to the family from men on active service in the military, etc. Are there any of these in your collection? Sadly, sometimes family members pick out those kinds of letters and destroy them as they feel that kind of insight into their ancestor's affairs is too personal.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1022 Posts
Posted 12/13/2013   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kimo thanks for your message you are right in that the bulk of them are legal letters however even they give names & clues sometimes, for instance I have one I got recently in 1740s signed from your uncle Charles Hay merchant in Dundee that opened up a new connection on the family tree

Charles Hay of Balendoch born about 1710 son of Gilbert Hay of Leitfie 1680 1723 & Elizabeth Rattray (their marriage 16 Aug 1705)

The one I have that was sent in July 1723 by John Smyth or Smith who states he has just arrived at the Balhary estate. The Scots National Archive had previously had 1730 as the date of arrival for John Smyth to Balharry.

And one I have dated early 1700s to John Smyth at Leitfie is an absolute treasure. And a few written to other members of the connected families. Plus somehow I picked up a list of church members document with Smyth's signature on it.

James Smyth was a rebel prisoner after the Jacobite rebellion, there is so much family history involved so although legal letters as I say they have names and clues and can build a time line on the Smyth's. I keep getting more since I sell postal history on eBay I do come across the old Smyth letters regularly:)

1 Posts
Posted 07/23/2017   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pawscat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Duncan,
I have a family interest in Balharry, as my Smith ancestors are reputed to come from there. Would love to hear from you
Pawscat
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1022 Posts
Posted 07/23/2017   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add duncanvr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pawscat please send me your email address through messages in this forum so we can exchange info directly thanks
Netherlands
1 Posts
Posted 03/30/2018   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hankams to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Duncan,
I just joined the Stamp Community, and found your posting of January 2012 on the Smyth family from Edinburgh. I am a collector of (pre-)philatelic mail from Gibraltar, and possess two letters from there to James Smyth, writer to the Signet, from 1759 and 1765, respectively. Both are from some mr. Kinlock, who apparently has complaints about goods paid but not delivered. I could send you scans if you are still interested in this topic.
Best,
Dik Bakker, Bussum, the Netherlands.
United States
1 Posts
Posted 08/11/2019   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1745Scotland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello to all: I am an amateur researcher doing a Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 project, specifically concerning a bagpiper named James Read, who was executed in November 1746 for participating in the Rebellion as a piper. Long story short, much fruitless searching led me finally to the National Archives in Kew, where I eventually found James Read's prisoner interview (deposition) taken at Lancaster Prison in March 1746 by one Solicitor Philip Carteret Webb. James mentions in this interview that he was from Alyth, and worked as a personal servant to one John Smyth. Thus I am now searching for information on this John Smyth, who employed my piper, and that brings me to this site. It seems quite possible the Smyth I am searching for is indeed this John Smyth of Balhary (and Edinburg). My first interest is to find out more information about the Smyth family, and if they preserved records of the estate, such as their employes. Any scanned letters or any information would be so incredibly helpful. I am wondering if my piper's father and grandfather also worked for the Smyth's and might have been pipers as well, and other information that might be glean ed. Thank you and kind regards, Denise C. :) xx
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 12,300Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05