Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mass. Postal Card With Interesting Subjusct.- Norse Runes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 01/17/2012   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You heard of the Kensington Rune-stone right? (I watch the History channel frequently) Well I see this postal card on an auction site for really really cheap so I snapped it up if only for the subject matter. Please excuse the images as they are very poor but it is old. That's why I enjoy it so. I'm excited to get it in my box! Now this isn't about the Kensington Rune-stone but one found in Mass. Weather it's authentic or not I couldn't tell you but it came out about the same time.

Obverse:

Reverse:
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/17/2012   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting piece of old Massachusetts history, although not exactly the most exciting tourist attraction.

Note that it is no longer in Dighton, as the part of town where the rock was found was annexed to Berkley after the date of your postcard.
Here's where the rock sits now:

And a link to Dighton Rock State Park:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/digr.htm
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 01/17/2012   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's reaally neat!

I really like that sort of stuff so I think it will fit right in my postcard pile. I'm going to do a little research on hat rock and see where it takes me.

OK check this out! Native Americans, Phoenicians, Norse, Portuguese are the likely suspects of the ancient graffiti.
http://www.dightonrock.com/dightonr...ditspark.htm

See wt1 I would have never known about that if it werent for stamps and the thought to research covers that I got from you so, Thank You!

Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 01/17/2012 7:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
Posted 01/17/2012   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sirruspoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is great. I love it as I am a big History channel fan as well. Keep digging and let us know what you find.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/17/2012   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've lived in Massachusetts almost all my life, and I never heard of Dighton Rock (or at least never paid any attention to it) until your post!
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 01/24/2012   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is that same post card blown up a bit so you can actually read it.

Obverse:

Reverse:

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 01/29/2012   04:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great find and fascinating - thanks for scanning

Check this out - same rock (1929)

Edited by Bas S Warwick - 01/29/2012 04:43 am
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/05/2014   03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally like the Miguel Corte Real theroy the best. The thorfinn theroy was blown out of the water after it was discovered that the guy changed the copy of the inscription he was working with.

http://www.dightonrock.com/dightonr...ditspark.htm
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 04/05/2014 03:33 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05